2021 Metalshop Class Catalog

Here’s a look at what classes we should have up and going for the metalshop soon:

Classes with no prerequisites:
Metalshop safety

Classes that will require Metalshop Safety first:
Lathe Basics
Manual Mill Basics
Deckel Copy Mill Basics
CNC Plasma Cutting
CNC Milling on the Tormach
Powder Coating
MIG Welding
TIG Welding

Classes we will be doing practice runs on soon and open to guidance from experienced people:
Manual Mill Basics
Precision Measurements
Deckel Copy Mill Basics

I’m still up in the air about requiring the Metalshop safety class as a prerequisite for the measurement class since those are skills that can end up being used in other areas like the woodshop as well.

I have a list of amazing instructors helping out, but I am open to others teaching classes as well. (but I would like to have some discussion first and a practice run before someone teaches their 1st class in the metalshop).

1 Like

I can help with input for the manual mill and precision measurements classes.

Need to get the bearing on the deckel gone through before using it. Those spindle bearings are dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuyuyy

The deckel is definitely a class for a few months down the line like in April or May. Hopefully after I get the air system done this weekend, and reorganize the shops a little, then we can start looking into that deckel a bit more.

I definitely want to be able to get measurement and manual mill classes on the calendar in March. @Tarka -I’d definitely be up for your help doing a dry run on those two classes in a couple weeks.

1 Like

I would be quite interested in learning to use the metal lathe. However, I work second shift so going to an evening class is a bit of a challenge.

1 Like

What day/time works best for you? I can do classes on Saturdays and Sundays if there is demand for it.

It seems like the classes have been getting filled up as soon as they’re posted.

1 Like

Also, as a heads up,

The next welding classes and CNC plasma cutting classes may not be until the start of April.

April? I think you actually meant…

1 Like

May-be.

Dont spring into a pun thread.

I’d be interested in MIG welding after May 1…

im open to a Saturday morning. Atm my employer isn’t doing Saturdays.

Would a 10am class on the 24th work?

as far as i know now, yes. ill put it on my calendar. do i need any supplies?

Just safety glasses. A block of aluminum will be provided.

A lathe class for 10am Saturday April 24th has been posted on the calendar.