$2000 Garden Grant

I saw this and thought of the possibilities https://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/landing-pages/school-gardens-landing

4 Likes

That link didn’t work for me here the grant page Whole Kids Foundation | Garden Grant Program

@ladeana we could work with online school deadline is March 1 ouch!

3 Likes

I found it to late, maybe next year

1 Like

Maybe not. I’ll look into it

3 Likes

Just read though this it’s completely doable. @rustin.atkeisson if I write a letter of support for MakeICT can you sign it? @ladeana we should be able to get the online school to be a partner. We just need to have 10 kids who work in the garden on a regular basis.

4 Likes

I agree that it is doable. The rules seem very lienent and doesn’t directly tie the 10 kids to being involved with the garden. So the efforts you guys have been putting in with usd 259 should qualify us for the grant, and I’m sure Sherry would have some pretty good ideas for a kid friendly corner in the garden.

The only hitch is that we have until March 1st to submit the application.

Malissa - I should be free Sunday evening to review the application and help get it submitted.

4 Likes

I have a support letter I can massage for this tomorrow and get to you. I don’t know when but I’m probably going to have to spend a few hours on the Transportation Grant for Mulvane sometime this weekend I can probably have that letter to you before noon. Do we need something from 259? I’ve already forgotten.

3 Likes

I hope we get this. Glad I could help

2 Likes

@Malissa I’d be happy to help with getting this done in time. Our garden is very kid friendly. Kim’s middle school volunteers planted the winter peas for example. We could also do garden outreach to Allen down the street, potentially evenp using some funds to provide them some vegetables in containers. I wonder if Allen has a latchkey program.

2 Likes

I’m including you in the email to the folder in Fundraising. We will need a detailed budget. Do we already have a detailed budget for the greenhouse? I can’t finish the support letter until I know what the money will be spent on.

2 Likes

Garden does not have a detailed budget yet but I can create one. I am guessing that a budget for $3000 would be more appropriate than for our current $2000 allotment but lmk what you think.

3 Likes

I don’t know a lot about greenhouses. Is there something on the market for less than $3000 that will fill our needs and be stable in the Kansas Wind?

2 Likes

Gosh, Garden hasn’t even considered spending anywhere near that much on a greenhouse yet at this point. It would open up more options for sure.

We were looking at a half-hoop house up against the south wall where Ceramics is and where there aren’t windows. Those are built similarly to what is often called a high tunnel. High tunnels are constructed of curved metal frames (similar or identical to chain link top rails) with sturdy plastic stretched tightly over them. Low tunnels may be constructed of smaller frames, such as EMT (but low tunnels are not as appropriate for our space). They are both DIY and we definitely have the capability of constructing them.

The availability of various options from a caterpillar tunnel to a high tunnel to an actual, true greenhouse means that we could definitely find something under $3000. While there is almost nothing the Kansas wind can’t tear down, there are a lot of high tunnels in Kansas and even some in Wichita city limits.

3 Likes

Do we need to make sure what we choose will not require permits?

@rustin.atkeisson the support letter is mostly ready it just needs what we decide to fund added. I did not see demographics listed in the grant requirements but feel that needed to be addressed. I added a paragraph in the letter.

2 Likes

It does ask if we know or have a relationship with any Whoelfoods employees. Do we have anyone who works at wholefoods? @trust_level_0 @trust_level_1 @trust_level_2 @trust_level_3 @trust_level_4 lets see what this tag does

edit looks like it tags all the members at that trust level

2 Likes

Reading through the entire grant application, my hopes are not high that we would receive it this year, but submitting it this year and going through this next season with this grant in mind could really strengthen our application for next year.

4 Likes

@Sherry exciting news about the hoop house!
Curious about the exact location. You referred to it being south wall near ceramics where there are “not” windows.
So is that to the west more towards kiln room? Or farther west more towards screen print and jewelry/cold metal?

1 Like

This season we haven’t discussed the specific location, that part of the discussion is all from last year when you were attending Garden committee meetings. I believe that area is the wall to the kiln room and screen printing, but we have not finalized anything.

We’re open to input particularly regarding issues which we may encounter, though it makes the most sense to start a new thread on that topic if you’d like to explore it further.

1 Like

@Sherry thanks for the clarification. In your previous post regarding the hoop house and high tunnel location, dates of discussion were not posted.
That said, fumes from the kilns could be a concern in placement as well as keeping a clear view for ceramics windows is an added bonus
Thanks a bunch

2 Likes

Thanks to the hard work of Malissa, LaDeana and Rustin helping me, we submitted a pretty solid application this morning! Thanks for the heads up, @Michelle !!!

5 Likes