17'' bandsaw

I am no expert but it appears that the blade is not very sharp. Is there a way to get a new blade?

2 Likes

I’ll get a new blade as soon as I can. Thanks for bearing with us, the bandsaw blades are amongst the most delicate in the shop and see some of the most abuse as well.

While I’ll try to keep up with them, some blades may be allowed to go past the point that they might in one’s personal or professional shop. It’s part budget, part that we’re a communal space that mixes makers of all skill levels. These and othef reasons also mean that we’ll probably never be providing the kind of blades best suited for resawing Osage Orange, and also that our blades will be used to do just that.

I imagine it may be a week or more before the new blade is acquired. I will reply here when it is in place (and fyi, Ill be using the Snodgrass method).

Thanks for the heads-up!

5 Likes

…. What’s the snodgrass method?

3 Likes

Assuming, Alex Snodgrass: The Bandsaw Method with Bandsaw Expert Alex Snodgrass | Woodcraft

4 Likes

Thanks!

Can nothing be a mystery anymore? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_monocle: :crazy_face:

Yes this is indeed the aforementioned Snodgrass method, and it is an absolute shame that he isn’t getting any closer than Illionois on his tour.

Thanks for asking and for posting!

3 Likes

Alex Snodgrass has a small book that details his process. It is available from him directly. Not on the Carter website.

I got one several years ago.

2 Likes

Ever order from sawblade.com? I have been very pleased with their products and prices. I purchase blades for my home made handsaw (Matthias Wandel) from them.

1 Like

Curious what your hand saw looks like. The only hand saws I’m really familiar with are hacksaws and coping saws.

Takes two hands to operate! LOL
Gotta love the autocorrect.

2 Likes

I guess there are the big bow saws for cutting trees, but by your response, there’s not a handsaw? Bummer.

This was before I finished the wheel covers/enclosure.

8 Likes

Curious how much the materials cost for that? Before I found a deal on one, I always planned to build one. I have built a lot of stuff from wood that would normally have been built from metal. Lots of stuff made of particle board because that’s what I was building speaker boxes out of 30 years ago.

1 Like

I don’t have a count on price, but I am pretty sure I cut all the frame pieces from maybe 8 1x12 x8’. I don’t recall exactly. I had some old shelving that donated the lumber for the frame. The wheels are two layers each 3/4" MDF 16" ish diameter. Those can come from one half sheet.
Also figure for most of a gallon of wood glue. Purchased plans were about $20 from Matthias Wandel. It was a fun build and it works great.

4 Likes

I need to look up Mathias. I enjoyed his videos, but haven’t heard much about him since the meltdown.

1 Like

Hopefully I’ll be getting funds for new bandsaw blades in the next few days. Sorry this has taken so long.

4 Likes

any word?

1 Like

Just got access to funds. Will be ordering this evening.

5 Likes

Blade will hopefully be in Friday afternoon. I’ll updat here once I have it installed.
Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

New blade is in and tuned!

4 Likes