1/6 scale model parts

1/6 scale model parts

Many large scale models come with very
basic and inaccurately modeled components. And being large scale, what kind of fun is that when the whole idea of a bigger scale is to be more accurate and realistic?

I’ve made parts for different Sherman tanks, Panzer II, schwimmwagen, kettenkrad motorcycle and Kubelwagen among other things. The schwimmwagen is my recent focus.

Here are some comparisons on the Dragon Models’ schwimmwagen motor and my components.

Unfortunately, the picture of the real motor in the back ground is rather blurred.

Hope you like them!

Mark Reasoner

3 Likes

They turned out nice, Mark! I’d like to know how you process them after printing to prep them for painting. Post-processing parts is something I want to learn more about.

3 Likes

I haven’t really developed a process. I usually run a fine file over the parts to knock down any high spots, then brush on several thin coats of plastic cement (kind of like a thin super glue) and touch up with very fine sandpaper or file again before painting. I am certainly open to better suggestions!

Mark

2 Likes

What you are doing seems to work great. I built a lot of 1/25 scale cars way back when. Even built a couple at 1/12, but that 1/6 seems enormous! Nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks! I like 1/6 because of the size difference. Not as steady handed as in the old days! LOL

1 Like