What's up with the MDF under the shopbot

Hey Makers - sometimes people leave me notes in my mailbox. I really like it so maybe we can ditch the suggestion box on the counter, although I am quite proud of it… off topic. Anyway a note I got said “what’s with the MDF under the shopbot?”

Here’s that story! Us laser cutter enthusiasts like having MDF to practice with. Spirit Aerosystems comes through with surplus MDF every once in a while. A few months ago Jerry Carpenter kindly picked some of that up for us. They had so much that they practically filled his truck bed and he had to be the one to say STOP NO MORE. He brought it all back to the space and he, Steve S, and I spent an evening cutting it up. But we cut up so much that it was crammed in the laser cutter scrap area and we were totally out of room. So we stashed the remaining 8ft sheets in the most out of the way place we could think of. We will not need any more for a very very long time.

If you can think of uses for it, we obviously have too much and you should feel free to use it up. Features: It is not very sturdy, no resistance to moisture yet somehow also difficult to paint, not flexible, heavy.

That is what’s up with the MDF under the shopbot.

2 Likes