What would you like to see in our future?

A couple things that I would be excited to see at MakeICT if space and resources could be made available:

Composites lab. This would include products and tools for fabrication with materials such as fiberglass and carbon fiber. This would admittedly be a bit tricky due to some safety concerns, but given the right building, I think doable.

Amateur Radio “Ham Shack”. There has occasionally been some interest in this hobby expressed by members. Having our own station and call sign where people could learn, get licensed, and make contacts would be fun. I think this could be an attraction for members of the amateur radio community in the area and potentially generate some new MakeICT members as a result.

2 Likes

I agree. Classes to help the member get his ticket would be a very popular thing, I’d guess. Even a regular, ongoing basic Electronics class would be great. You’d have a challenge with people joining weeks into a multi-week class, but that can be managed.

2 Likes

Not to mention antenna building projects and classes.

1 Like

I would love to see a 3d scanner, a vacuum press, more stuff for casting, more classes that are make & take like there is in the woodshop, and more organization! I’d also like to see us teaming up more with local groups, like we do with the girl scouts (girl/boy scouts, homeschoolers, and the schools in general.) We could also
benefit from hosting artistic things that are already happening like the wine & paint nights.

6 Likes

Folsom Daycare Blues

3 Likes

We need a water jet cutter and either an lcd or dlp resin printer. I think we should get a group together to build the printer from scratch and save a few $thousand.

4 Likes

YES

Also, other things I think that would be beneficial:
photo booth lightbox - to photograph projects with nice lighting, backdrops etc.
embroidery machine
glass blowing?

2 Likes

I would love an Audio/Video studio for doing training or youtube videos and or podcast.

2 Likes

A DTG would be amazing to have

https://hackaday.com/2019/07/26/the-march-toward-a-diy-metal-3d-printer/

1 Like

Organization yes please when I return would would be glad to run a group or volunteer. Would also like to help with iventory if still needed. Thanks Angel

1 Like

Would be cool to have a roomscale VR area

2 Likes

I second the ground school lessons.

A vacuum former was mentioned - this would be an easy thing to make, and would be very useful. I built one for my brother awhile back - could do it again for the space if we decide we want one.

@david.vanommen11 we have a vacuum former. Big black box under the 3D printer table.

2 Likes

I thought we had one at one point.

Ah. Good to know!

Note to self: Remember to add vacuum forming machine to list of equipment for orientation and tours.

4 Likes

Lots of great ideas! As a folk art painter and sewist, I’d love a paint studio offered. Simple “crafty” things like papercrafts, paint parties (I’d be willing to help with, I’ve done a few), mixed media projects, seasonal decor sewing projects (I’d also love to work on these), simple make and takes. Many of my friends are very talented, but are intimidated by the techy or beefier makerspace options, keeping them away. These are more up their alleys.

1 Like

A kids club?
Stem projects, classes, notebook?
A job board?

I have a guy who wants help with sensor data in a drill head…

2 Likes

Another thing that I’d like to see is an inviting, fun front window display that really pops and showcases the huge variety of opportunities available. Maybe, displaying samples of upcoming classes. It needs to grab attention and make people curious about what is happening inside.

2 Likes