What kind of powder coat guns are there?

I’d like to find out what the gun is that uses the straight jar-shaped hopper cups, so that I can get some new ones. I didn’t see them on the equipment list for the metal shop, and am concerned about accidentally getting the wrong kind.

I’d just go in and look, but am in Austin at the moment. Here’s the turkey I made two nights ago, after we decorated the tail. Or rather, during the decoration of the tail. :grinning:

I cannot answer your question, but I really like what you made. I love how you imagined this and created it out of misc parts. REALLY COOL! Something tells me this is not a first, but that you have created many neat things… GREAT JOB!

2 Likes

Thanks, Jeff! This is actually something I’m just starting— welding, that is. I made a few creatures before, but they fell apart. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: So I appreciate the encouragement! I definitely want to make more.

1 Like

Welded stuff falling apart is one of the reasons that I wish there was more of an interest in not just how to use a welder, but how welding works. Settings, filler, process all play into the success of a welded joint.

Practice makes perfect but only if you understand why something didn’t work so you can correct it. This is the reason you see a lot of dislike for small mig welders. It’s very easy to make a pretty weld that doesn’t hold. The best way to determine the quality of a weld is to dissect it. Cut and etch it to see how deep the weld penetration is. Obviously, for decorative stuff, it’s not critical, but even for that, if something falls apart the first time somebody picks it up, it is disappointing.

I don’t know what all Sosa goes over in his class, but if there’s legitimate interest in a more in depth class on welding, somebody let me know.

2 Likes

I’ll go a step further, I run a welding shop with my father. We have a scrap bin where everything in it is free…… If you want to see if we have any future creatures in our scraps just send me a email, txt, or call… That offer is open to anyone who is interested, I personally hate waste but have come to realize I can’t keep every scrap that might be useful someday….

jeff@makeict.org

3I67O8O3I6

4 Likes

There are laws here in Kansas. One is that you can’t throw anything away. You may need it later.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the one I’m thinking of is an Eastwood, so I went to their site and saw the bottles for like $5. Only the shipping is $24-- yeowch. I also went to the Powder Coat Store site, but they were sold out.

So after searching more and finding nothing, I went to eBay and ordered the same three bottles for a total of $7.51 including shipping, sold by…the Eastwood Company. eastwoodcompany on eBay

So they’re charging $24 in shipping for three bottles sold for $5 on their web site, but nothing in shipping for the same three bottles sold for $7 on eBay?

I don’t get it. But I hope they work.

4 Likes