Website

The hosting has been moved from the labor party to Digitalocean web host.

Still it is not a super charged vm, so anything that can be done to speed things up are a good thing, but it is a low traffic site, and I personally would not focus too much on it. I have never found the site to be slow loading.

My preference is stability over speed on the existing site, and optimize the new site while you are developing/testing it.

2 Likes

I have a backup of the site running at home as close as I could make it. I will apply the outstanding updates and remove the inactive ones and do a little bit of testing. If nothing breaks I will apply the updates to the main site.

@it
From what I can tell Jetpack pretty much redundant if we are installing GA. Does that match with what you guys/gals think? Do we need to keep it. It seem since it is not connected to a WP account it seems broken at this point. I don’t know who installed it and what they had planned for it.

1 Like

If you start pulling on a string you never know what you are going to find at the other end. There are several contact pages on the WP site. They forward somewhere. The info is stored in the database. there are 200k entries in a wp_postmeta table. It is not killing the site, but we do have memory issues from time to time.

It mostly looks like spam. I saw some German and Russian scroll past when I selected all of the data.

Are there any objections to purging the data after a week or so? There seems zero value for the contact forms that send on to the forum or emails to be stored in the WP site. I don’t see anything on the contact plugin to manage this data.

I found the spam folder. If you are on the receiving end of the info@makeict.org it could be worse. It look like the spam filter is catching stuff from the website form, but it does not look like there is a any way to bulk move all spam to the trash folder and empty it. I will do a little looking to see if there is a good way to move the messages to the trash bin from the database, I don’t see it from the plugin in WP.

I hate spammers. modern day horse thieves. get a rope.

The best part is the oldest spam entries are from @Christian.

1 Like

hah! the web is like a box of chocolates.

good finds Tom. I’ll leave you to the existing site and keep going with the prototype.

Jetpack does a lot of things thats why I was curious what its purpose is. If it was for metrics it should be removed. it’s quite bloated.

Lol yikes purging form entries would be good just as some general house keeping.

Purging form entries sounds tedious. Is that something we can assign to python or is it something I can be trained to do?

i hope so. it should be nothing manual. looking at the flamingo plugin docs yesterday it should be purging after version x, but i dont know when we updated to that version. or if it was retroactive.

i am just starting out with wp and the plugins so hard to say anything.

The fact that the anti-spam plugin is listed as a sub of the jetpack, I think they might be linked, so not just analytics… maybe.

I tested everything I could on my local copy. No issues I could see. I updated all of the plugins on the main site. Everything except the Woody snippet tool.

It looks like the Woody add snippets plugin was recently active. In theory it looks like it can be used to add a header or footer to all pages.

I don’t see anyway to view the settings, I assume it is because it is not active. I can’t enable it on the test site. it crashes there to.

Who added it? can you speak to if was being used? I looked at the updater logs, but it does not show when it was added, only that it was updated in sept 2020 by @Christian

At this point it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Since I have never used it. I removed and added the plugin on the test site That fixed the plugin, but it is empty. Either that wiped it or it was never used.

I don’t know how it functioned, so I can look at the existing site without a lot of work. I don’t see anything majorly broken after uninstalling nd reinstalling it on the test site.

Does anyone have any thought?

I think Woody Ad Snippets was installed before I ever touched anything. I installed Flamingo, Contact Form 7, and Akismet anti-spam when I updated our contact forms to create emails with unique titles, rather than just dumping them all into one mega-thread. That was a mess, not to mention all the spam ads for ED and other sketchy stuff. I’m pretty sure I created a wordpress.com account and linked up Jetpack as part of that process. Jetpack was previously installed, but I think Unplug Jetpack was used to set it up without an associated account. I installed the URL shortener for an easy way to create short links to other resources (like makeict.org/3dprintexamples). I also installed All-in-One WP Migration With Import, Better Search Replace, WordPress Database Backup, and WordPress Importer while I was working on migrating the website. The ones that are disabled aren’t needed anymore or didn’t end up being very useful.

I keep seeing “Orientation Request” e-mails coming in on the forum. Is that testing of the new website? Most look like spam, but one actually had a phone number on it.

The one’s getting sent to the membership group? Those are generated by a contact form on the live website, and should for the most part be legitimate requests. None of the messages that I see look like spam to me. I just updated it so that the reply address will be the contact info that the person entered so they are easier to respond to, but other than that it appears to be working properly.

Thanks for looking into it, and adding the reply address.

I did see the Orientation page on the live server, but all of them seemed to have the same subject pattern, and the only subject option I could see on the form was “Testing website form”, so it made me question. The names were also not existing members that I could see. I should not have really said they looked like spam, but there was enough doubt that I thought I would check.

Where do you see “Testing website form”?

Must be something that is cached in my browser from when were were doing the testing earlier in the year when the website moved. But I was looking at http://makeict.org/orientation. When I click on the subject, that was a dropdown. I just tried it in a different browser, and that wasn’t there.

@bradcozine, i assume this is the thead you are asking about.

Something for the “Wish List” would be a “reservation calendar” that looks like the event calendar for certain singular pieces of equipment like the lasers, the Gammil longarm, plasma cutter, powder coat etc…
I’d also like to go from the forum to the event calendar in one click and from the forum to the main page in one click.
This is well overdue, thank you for taking it on.

@Christian, please add brad.cozine@makeict.org to Google Analytics, Tag Manager and Search Console as I’m currently Interim Communications Committee lead. Thanks!

$228. A month