Website

Make sure Christian updates you with the 'UnderstandJames" bash script

Domesticated Apricot was a project that was going to replace wild apricot, but they bit off more than they could chew,

I’m fascinated by the approach you are taking. I know way more about hardwaret than software, but always willing to help peeks over shoulder

1 Like

We should meet up some time and talk about the backend stuff. The website changes should be pretty straightforward, but any changes to the membership management will need to be considered very carefully. I’m very familiar with our current unseen spiderweb of tools that we use for membership and event management; it may be more complex than it appears on the surface. If you’re free on Tuesday I’m usually in the building around 4-8 for the project night. That is when Steve and I have been meeting up to work on rebuilding some of our backend tools.

1 Like

Totally agree, I’m usually free Tuesday evenings. I’m registered for plasma cnc training this upcoming Tuesday, so maybe we could meet up on the following Tuesday?

It’s easier to built an intuitive tool knowing how the user will be utilizing it so knowing these inner workings would definitely be helpful.

1 Like

Sure, next Tuesday works just as well.

I cant access WIKI at this time.

What page are you trying to be get to? It seems fine to me.

makeict.org/wiki

Oh, looks like the makeict.org/wiki redirect was broken, but makeict.org/wiki/* was working properly. It’s fixed now.

1 Like

Thanks @Christian

If you do this for a living, make sure that you let me know how much your time is worth.

I did not like it that we still had the old location as the first image on the website. It had seen someone comment/complain about it some time ago. I wanted to put in a new one, but since I did not have it removed the old main Douglas picture.

Do we have some pictures we can put into the slide show? Maybe a slide show of construction pics. I am happy to update the main slideshow.

I am happy to put the on. I am no web designer, but I think I can resize/crop the pictures to match what we have now. I can make it a sub page to test then we can put it on the main page.

1 Like

You should be able to download any of the pictures shared here

I have started a media library folder on the drive where I’ve been organizing the pictures from remake Tuesdays you can look for some pictures there.

2 Likes

Asking here incase my e-mail was missed.

I’m not a WordPress expert and I believe we have several who have volunteered to step up or are doing so. I just finished a seminar on Google Ad Grant. To make the most of it once I apply and am approved I need to know if we have Google analytics installed and how to get access to that to track ad results and tailor our ads to what works . Do we have that and how would I get access to it?

I can help with answering questions and implementing. I’m hoping to get administrator access to the website soon.

Looking at the source files in the website there is not an existing google analytics account but it’s not hard to add. We can approach it a few different ways.

If there is a makeict gmail account already, we need to login there, create an analytics account and invite users - like you.

A google analytics account can be created by anyone however its always a mess trying to track it down so I’d advice the committee to set up a master account (if it doesn’t already exist) and invite relevant people.

1 Like

Since we use G Suite we should be able to create a makeict.org account for the google analytics.

1 Like

that works too. I’m happy to set up analytics, just need a login and password.

1 Like

I’ll look at setting it up this afternoon/evening when I get back home.

2 Likes

We can review and change Heathers access to wp so she can make needed changes. From what i can recall the example sites Heather listed before looked very sharp, and I am excited and happy to have Her help. Please give others a heads up when making major changes to the site, it is easier to connect the dots if something goes wrong.

We should discuss the extent of the changes. If it is going to be a major rewrite. How do you plan to make them. Second server, or second homepage and parallel set of pages inside existing WP?

My main concern is making sure we don’t break the live site.
Do we need/want to stand up a second dev server for major rewrite.
If we are going to be doing any major platform updates.
How much of existing format/content/platform are you planning to retain? Most of the pics need to be refreshed and extended.

I don’t think the @IT committee has much to do with the process beyond the need for setting up VM and making sure we have any platform updates in place. If we need to integrate to other systems.

I don’t have the artistic inclination to make a really good looking website. I can change text and add links. So I will help where I can.

I assume once the new site is ready from the @Communication committee it would need to get board approval to replace the existing site.

Thanks for your help @heathernew09

2 Likes

Well if you’re reading the above string the systems integrated is quite complex and overwhelming. After speaking with Christian, I believe sticking with wild apricot and not managing the membership directly from the wordpress site is probably the best for now. I’m a front end dev and designer so the backend items would need help from more of a software engineer/programmer.

What I can contribute is a custom theme for MakeICT that creates a nice looking site in wordpress that is tailored to the organization. Meaning easy to add/swap content and images, build pages and adjust things for whoever logs in.

I created a start of a custom theme for MakeICT a while back and other things took my attention. All of that is off site and wouldn’t go live without full approval from the committee. The process I would recommend for this project is

1. create a prototype (get structure, navigation nailed down and make sure elements are all accounted for)
  2. design elements and get approval on direction
  3. apply design
  4. have a review
  5. made edits
  6. final review
  7. launch
    Usually I find it best if there are only a few designated people with eyes on the site to review and toss around ideas and feedback. When it gets to final stage that’s usually a good time to open it to a larger audience for review to make sure there aren’t any usability issues.

A new theme will be essential to make the site responsive. So that’s the direction I would take next in addition to a meeting with the committee to get everyone on the same page, discuss ideas, review designs etc.

Having a deadline for when we’ll review and meet to give feedback would help me achieve this goal. I’m not the best at planning the checkins and scheduling with people. Perhaps this is something the communications committee can help me with while I apply my expertise to the site itself.

3 Likes