Volunteer for firing the kiln?

I have some experience using a kiln and would love to get some more! I didn’t know if this was an option to learn to fire our kiln and be able to help with firings so they can be more frequent? I am at make ict a lot and would love to be able to help out, I know we have another kiln as well but it needs a sitter. I would be happy to be a kiln sitter for that one, I would just need the training for both options etc lmk please! <3

2 Likes

this is such a good idea!! I know a lot of people would really love to help out, and the number of pieces that need firing is probably pretty overwhelming for the people who already operate the kiln. maybe certain people can get individually approved based on experience, or at least get trained with a current kiln operator

1 Like

Per the wiki page, the area lead and assistant lead are @pwhutchi and @ScottS .

Also, the requirements to be designated to perform kiln firing is on the wiki page near the bottom: Ceramics - MakeICT Wiki

So, if you have familiarized yourself with the requirements and want to be designated to fire the kiln I’d suggest communicating those facts to the lead or assistant lead to get started.

4 Likes

Thank you for the info! I will get on that!

2 Likes

When I was in on Friday there wasn’t enough ready-to-glaze items to fire the kiln. It was apparently a VERY busy weekend in the studio however (YAY!), as the shelves are full of future beautiful stuff today. There is a very full glaze load running now (also YAY). :smiley:

Unlike pretty much everything else at MakeICT, loading/unloading and firing the kiln involves taking responsibility for other members things with significant risk of damaging them. For that reason, we have been very hesitant to authorize additional folks beside the two co-leads to take on this task. Having a couple folks who are very familiar with the process helps to reduce the chance of damaging / destroying other peoples things.

To be clear, I don’t want to discourage people who are interested in learning how the kiln works. We’re all makers who love cool (or hot!) tools! Any questions or curiosities, please ask. I’m more than happy to show folks how it works and share what I’ve learned operating it the past several years. I’m here several days a week. Just reach out: ceramics@makeict.org

Things are picking up in the studio finally, which is great! Though, most of the perceived slowness in getting things fired is still about not having enough to fire. This delay can be exacerbated by alternating bisque/glaze firings (to extend the life of the elements) and the number of very tall pieces or large flat pieces which dramatically reduces the amount of stuff that can fit in the kiln at a time.

All that being said, @ScottS and I are not strictly against another person who is willing to be responsible for other peoples things and demonstrates the skills necessary to do the job safely and reliably being authorized.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the response and information! I hope my inquiry was not taken as a complaint, that’s not how I meant it at all! You guys are doing a great job and I appreciate all the hard work and time you put into the ceramics area! I feel very blessed to be a part of make ict especially the ceramics area. I am simply curious and interested in learning the working of a kiln and all the experience I have is loading and unloading kilns and not the technological workings of the equipment lol so that’s where I lack. I am totally willing to learn take responsibility of peoples work and the careful eye of knowing which piece can and can not be fired and the delicacies of handling people precious work etc and willing to put the time in at make ict and at home to study and learn what I need to be able to help out. Thank you again so much I look forward to speaking with you about this!

4 Likes

Not at all taken as a complaint!

Chat with me next time you see me. I like answering questions.

1 Like

Thank you so much I really appreciate it! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to verify before I head down that way, are the glaze-fired pieces ready for pick-up?

1 Like

Unfortunately no. The kiln misfired and threw an error code. I’m busy volunteering at the ren fair this weekend but will be working through it starting Monday. Stay tuned for an update.

3 Likes