Vintage Audio Equipment

I know we have a lot of makers who work on electronics, but what about vintage audio components? This is something I’ve always wanted to learn, but in the short term, I have some projects I’d like to discuss and maybe pay someone for.

1 Like

Are you interested in repairing? Restoring? Making new equipment from vintage parts?

We tried a wide open repair event on a repeating basis and only had one project brought in. A Bose wave radio IIRC.

What age do you consider vintage?

I’m willing to help regardless.

Most older audio equipment had schematics either included or readily ordered at low or no cost. And, Sam’s Photofacts were available from the library. Sam’s Photofacts were annotated schematics with voltages and scope traces and troubleshooting charts. I’m pretty sure the library doesn’t have them anymore, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I believe vintage is anything older than 25years old. Which is like 1997…so gattica and men in black. Oooo the flashy thingy is vintage now.

Judith is from the 80s and sports a rocket fast z80 ucontroller.

1 Like

I have these vintage (1984) sony speakers to donate.

The clip that you connect the speaker wire to is broken and needs replaced, but other than that, it works great. Its collecting dust in my garage.

2 Likes

I’m mostly interested in the golden age of Hi-Fi, so mostly the 70s. I’ve done some recapping of old amps with moderate success. I’ve cleaned old potentiometers, too. But I have no clue how to read a schematic and just need some basic electronics lessons.

The big project I want to tackle is a pair of powered Advent loudspeakers (amp inside the speaker itself) that I’ve had for a long time. One of them was DOA. They’re really nice speakers and fairly rare. I just don’t have the expertise to diagnose and fix them.

I won’t have time to mess with stuff for awhile, but I just wanted to get a general idea of who has knowledge. Mike, I’ll be sure to hit you up when the time is right. I appreciate the offer!

1 Like

I’m currently in the process of rebuilding an All American 6 AM radio and have a NAD 7020 (the classic NAD 3020 with a receiver) in the wings waiting on a recap. I’m competent enough with reading schematics (with the help of a cheat sheet :smile: ) so if you need a second pair of eyes I’m more than willing to help.

2 Likes