Tool Roundup

Can we try to organize a “Tool Roundup” so the workshops, specifically the Woodshop, can get its tools back to where they are supposed to be?

I’m a relatively new member but every time I’ve been in to work on a project or attend a class, people have to go searching for tools such as drills, tape measures, etc.

I’m sure the other workspaces are dealing with the same issue as well.

2 Likes

Would love to see some shadow box pegboard walls in the future great way to inventory too

3 Likes

I was actually thinking about that in addition to a tool crib/cage that could be placed in one of the unused rooms or even the maintenance room.

Something with a sign-out sheet where all the commonly used tools could be kept.

I have a bit of experience in inventory control so I think it’s something we should consider.

1 Like

Peg board and a bit of organization should be enough. Sign in/out is fine for a super controlled facility with set rules and punishments for not, I think it may not be as useful in a makerspace application.

3 Likes

RFID tags and a locator app

2 Likes

Good idea :slight_smile:

Considering there are already some set rules for being a member, the implementation of some rules and procedures for signing out tools shouldn’t be a stretch for members.

All the sign-out sheet would need is the member’s name, the tool they are using, and which workshop they are going to be in.
If it’s not returned at least there is a record of who had it last and where. Repeat offenders could have tool privileges revoked or at least put on notice on the forums.
Yes this is a makerspace but it’s not a free-for-all. I just think that a little adulting and personal accountability would help make it a better makerspace.

1 Like

Just to clarify I’m not trying to be argumentative or confrontational. In the short time I have been a member I have seen how frustrating it is for myself and other members to be in the middle of a project and have to stop to go on a scavenger hunt for the tool that’s supposed to be in the workshop…and end up either bringing one in or trying to make do without it.

It would make the facility a lot more appealing to potential members as well. People won’t be interested in joining if they are spending as much time searching for tools as they are working on a project.

1 Like

I was a bit surprised that one of the drills from the metalshop suddenly turned up after I had some help putting up a holder for the cordless tools. So organizing tools does seem to help a bit, but it may also come down to the shopping cart scenario. Is every members of MakeICT the excellent kind of person that returns the cart to the cart corral, or are they the kind of person that just leaves the cart in the middle of a parking spot on a normal, windy Kansas day? (I’d like to think they’re all the excellent kind)

Also, it seems to help to bring up during the metalshop safety classes that it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to open a drawer and put a wrench back in the organizer, as well as reminding people to take their time while at the space and avoid being in a rush.

As far as doing a sign out sheet goes, I tried that at the old space with the ERP library of integrated circuits. It kind of worked for a bit, but after a while, I think the signout form disappeared when someone needed a clipboard for some other event.

2 Likes

I’m not expecting it to be a fix-all to the problem but as it stands there isn’t any real control. We have the capability of creating signage and putting them up throughout the workshops and common areas. I’m not expecting this to be fixed overnight or anything but surely there is something that can be done.

It would increase the functionality of it being a shared makerspace if there was a centralized location for the commonly shared tools.

2 Likes

Agreed,

My post was intended to let you know what I have tried and what has resulted.

Leaving all the tools and bits in a pile on a table back behind a pile of other stuff in the maintenance room hasn’t promoted the idea of putting stuff back where it should be.

Once that yellow table saw disappears, I think that would be a great spot for a tool chest/cabinet where we can take a better whack at organizing all the tools sitting in that room.

2 Likes

Oh I completely understand. Even in the semi-controlled setting that I work in things never seem to return to the right place.
Fortunately though, this is all teachable and learned behavior that can be promoted and enforced to some degree, just like requiring safety courses for most of the workspaces.

Maybe as a future endeavor, the tool storage could be a controlled area utilizing our badges. Correct me if I’m wrong but every badge has a unique QR code, correct? Maybe implement a system similar to the public library. Scan your badge, scan your tool, go about your work. It doesn’t always prevent stuff from walking away but for the vast majority of people that follow the rules, it would be effective.

1 Like

I have heard some of the orientation classes being told that the tools in the garage are for the general use on the building. And that tools they need in one of the shops should be in that shop.

I have a plan to mark all the ERP tools with purple. Some already are, but I’m sidetracked easily. Thought about adding glitter too.

1 Like

Yesterday I was able to pair a set of metric and SAE wrenches in holders on the table in the garage - the remaining wrenches were put in a coffee can on the table. It’s frustrating to have to sift through everything to find that one that you need - but it gets better when we keep working towards that place for everything.

Getting that garage area organized will be easier when some of the clutter has been cleared out, wall is built for press, and it can be determined which tools will stay there etc. We’ll get there - and seeing some great ideas on this thread. We can do this - look how far we have come!

1 Like

I’ve had to use a chit system - no tool removed without a chit being left in place. I know that tool control in a makerspace is not as critical as around aircraft - but it is nice to be able to do a task start to finish without having to make do. We’re still settling in and I’m sure it will get better as we move forward. The area leads have done a heck of a job getting us to this point and I appreciate their efforts!

1 Like

Being a community run makerspace we’re all OWNERS. The Area Leads, all leadership infact, pay the same as every member. We have made the choice to help to do things that benefit every member/owner of the space. Many of us wear multiple hats to keep the space going. We all also have families, jobs, other associations we volunteer for, and our own making to do. Maybe this isn’t the right thread for this response but I think we all need a reminder from time to time. Thanks, to everyone dedicated to help MakeICT reach it’s fullest potential.

Insert CHIT joke here.

no chit

1 Like