Thinking of teaching a CAD class

I’m thinking of doing a basic CAD class next month. It would cover basic concepts of 2D sketches, how to turn those sketches into 3D shapes, and parametric modeling. The goal would be to cover enough detail in each topic to give people the knowledge to design basic 3D parts from scratch. If there is enough interest I’m also considering separate classes going into more depth on 2D and 3D separately.

I would probably do this class using OnShape; since it is web-based it runs on a wider range of hardware/software than Fusion 360 so people could use their own computers if they want. All of the fundamental concepts apply to many other similar CAD programs, the main difference is where the buttons are in the UI.

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

1 Like

What if you started with tinkercad fir the super basics, then finished up with onshape.

The trick is… what are they going to design?

After assisting with Dean Day’s Blender class a couple years back, here’s a few suggestions:

1. It’s a lot easier to teach a CAD class with an assistant
  2. Definitely have the program pulled up before the class starts (it doesn’t hurt to teach people how to download and setup the software, but it took a while when blender wasn’t already installed on the desktop)
  3. Incorporate frequent brakes (it helps people that are struggling to catch up without feeling like you have to go at an experienced person’s pace).
  4. People learn in different ways, you may have to teach the same step in several different ways.
  5. Have fun with it.

As far as software goes, OnShape would definitely be a good seed class. Fusion360 has definitely turned into a Swiss army knife which makes it easy for someone to get into a really weird screen. so if someone enjoys a seed class, that helps them decide if more complex classes are right for them.

1 Like

I have taught Kicad a few times and I would absolutely have them use the makerspace computers, and have them booted before class. That way no one is trying to install KiCad last minute, everyone is on the same version of the software and everyone has the same OS. Their focus should be on learning the basic of using cad and not how to use cad on their computer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

OnShape is run from the web browser, so there is nothing to install, and no software version or OS differences to worry about. They just have to create an account and log in. The only difference between devices is probably toolbar layout which is affected by screen size. We could use the laptops, but I don’t think it will make a huge difference either way.

How many people were in the class you taught? I’m probably going to limit it to 4 people, at least starting off. When I taught Inkscape classes I used to just sit behind everyone so I could see their screens.

I’m thinking I might give them a drawing or a physical part to duplicate at the end

I think we had 10 students in the blender class.

Most of the people were able to keep up, but all it takes is one early mis-click for someone to get lost. I’ve seen the same thing happen with CATIA classes.

I can’t wrap my head around blender so I tabled it for future date.
I’ve used onshape it is pretty easy
I finally decided on using a program called 123D old autocad program its a great program lots of youtube vids. And easy to pick up. When I need a part modified or made new I use this.
Also meshmixer as a back up

I would be game for taking that class. I could also help if you needed.

2 Likes

@Christian I have been playing around with OnShape and having fun. It seems to be relatively easy to learn ( at least for the basics) and I love that it’s browser based!

1 Like

How do you get an OnShape account? I see they have free educational accounts? Do they have a hobbyist license for free?

Yep, info is here: Onshape Free Plan | Onshape

1 Like

thank you!

I’d be interested in the class.

I’m in.

I want to start making passive income so anything that helps me get to that point is greatly appreciated.

I would take it in a heartbeat.

Interested in taking some onshape. Looks easy to use, and cheap!

1 Like

Just threw it onto the calendar for this upcoming Monday. A bit short notice, but hopefully a couple people can make it.

http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-4232961

2 Likes