Terrence’s answers to Questions. Election 2018

Hello everyone. My Name is Terrence Laurendine and apparently someone thought I’d be a good fit for a board position at MakeICT. A little bit about me. I’m a military transplant here from New Orleans so I love food. I also love having too many hobbies. If you ask me a question don’t be surprised if I ask one back. If I seem to be playing the devils advocate, its not because I don’t agree with what you say but sometimes we come up with the right answer on our own when we are challenged a little further. It also help to get people thinking on the same track and minimize misunderstandings. Plus encountering a bump along the way allows us to go back and make our plans better and more immune to hiccups.

1. What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT? I’m a active board member of the Wichita Amateur Radio Club (WARC) which is a 501(3)c public charity and has a member base of ~140 people. With several meetings each month within the club and additional ongoing meetings between WARC members and other area organizations, I take advantage of every opportunity to introduce those who aren’t familiar with MakeICT by giving personal tours when I can.

2. What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member? My tenacious approach to problem solving and persistence in sharing information. I believe sometimes people are biased and too quick to give answers compounded by making assumptions. I think it’s important to ensure people are will informed especially in a teaching environment. I try to always think outside of the box and look at things from multiple angles and try to encourage others to do the same.

3. If you have served on the Board in the past, What do you feel you did right? What do you think you did wrong, or could have done better? I haven’t served on the board for MakeICT previously but have been a member of the WARC board for 3 years and working on my first year as board member for my HOA. While this presents a busy schedule it also provide many learning and growth opportunities and allows me to take lessons learned from one organization and apply to others when applicable.

4. Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term? My personal drive is to always have 100% participation/attendance in organizations I’m involved in however there are times while conflicts will occur. However, with todays infrastructure and technology coupled with effective communications the impact of my physical presence can often times be minimized.

5. It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership? At WARC we are deeply involved on current regular activities such as Kid’s day on the Air which occurs twice a year or Amateur Radio Field day which a yearly weekend long event. We also hold test sessions to provide an avenue for those interested to get their Amateur Radio license on a bi-monthly basis. Additionally, we have a group of individuals currently learning about High-Altitude Balloon launches with Amateur Radio equipment reporting weather conditions from as high as 90,000ft. All of our current and future initiatives have at least STEM or public service with not both as a primary driver and I’ve would continue to look at ways where MakeICT and WARC would benefit each other which would hopefully provide growth in both organizations.

6. What are your thoughts about MakeICT’s direction in the coming year? I haven’t been involved previously in a capacity that allowed me to be well informed about how things have gone in the past. Information/knowledge is key to avoid mistake and I’d want to learn first before being able to have significant thoughts for this answer.

7. What’s your agenda for what you want to accomplish in the coming year? Just learn more about the backend of MakeICT as applicable to helping the organization.

8. How will you gauge whether we’re successful as an organization? Membership participation, schedule of activities, success of those activities and flexibility & ability to overcome issues.

9. What should our priorities be in terms of trying to find a different space versus extending the lease on our current building? One thing I’ve heard and seen is the issue of the available floor space and its use. I’m sure information/statistics have been gathered and I think they should continue to be pulled and looked at to vet moving to another large location.

10. Do you think MakeICT should focus on one space down town or multiple satellite locations in underserved communities? Again, I’m under informed but my first thought is doubling the number of locations will in some cases cause more than double the use of resources. In the near term my thought is to continue with a single location.

11. Do you believe the Board should deal with day to day issues? Should area leads have more authority over day to day operations? Both. We get better as we learn. There are some things that should be handled at the Area level and the Lead should be aware that they have an expectation to up channel issues as needed. A lead should be able to ask for any type of help necessary ranging from getting an assistant to recognizing a major decision might be best served to ensure it won’t conflict with some other item in another area they aren’t aware of such as contractual agreements or planning.

12. Do you support an expansion of board terms from 1 year to 2 years? Why or why not? I’m undecided. While repetitive turnover can come at a bad time I’d first ask what problems have been encountered with the current term model and will they be fixed if changed.

13. Would a 2 year term affect your decisions to accept a nomination? Personally I’d prefer a shorter term at first until I’m more comfortable and feel I’m not more of a detriment than a benefit.

14. Would you support staggered elections June and December for general directors seats? Why or why not? Un-informed/undecided.

15. Would you support staggered elections with half the board elected at each Annual meeting? Again I’m uninformed/undecided but would ask has there been any problem with lack of continuity due to an entire change of board members. If you often encounter then it might be a good idea to not shuffle out the entire board at once or at least have the possibility of this happening. Normally, the Past President seat help keep the continuity by being the person who helps inform how things were previously handled. However, I don’t believe the President/Past-President can be held accountable/involved to know every detail of the entire organization.

16. Tell us one thing the Board did in the last 12 months that needs an undo. Be specific. Unable to answer.

17. Tell us one thing not done in the last 12 months by the Board that still needs done. Be specific. I’m unaware of the level of involvement by the board but personally, I think the Fireball CNC machine being down for over a year was unacceptable. Also while you will also have conflicts in personalities I believe this was some less than premium decisions to be made in regards to having working air compressors in the metal and wood shop. Each now has their own compressor and both have been down at various times. In at least one occasion one right after the other. My current understanding is there is one working compressor in the metal shop with a spare that may need to be rebuilt along with a smaller working one in the wood shop. Previously one compressor fed both departments but those connecting lines have since been removed. If the metal shop compressor fails again, it will take down multiple pieces of equipment as well as impact the Tormach classes as it has in the past. This leads to question 1 above. I think the board should have stepped in and positioned MakeICT to have one compressor feeding both locations with the 2nd compressor as a ready standby. Having 3-4 compressors is also more equipment to maintain as well as storage of the equipment is an impact of the available floor space.

18. Do you believe the entire membership should vote each year at the annual meeting on the organizations Standing Rules? Refer to Article III Section 2 of the bylaws. I believe the all members should have some say in the MakeICT to include impacting the vitong of the Board.