Table saw still down?

Yeah, having alcohol in the shop areas is clearly not a good idea, and as mentioned earlier consuming alcohol and using tools is not cool for insurance reasons. As long as I have been a member my understanding has been that if you consume any alcohol you cannot use any of the equipment. I could have sworn that was explicitly written in our standing rules, but I checked and couldn’t find it.

Events like wine and painting would be fine, but wine and woodshop would be a bad plan.

4 Likes

Perhaps some signage should be in order. Posted on the doors of the wood and metal shops. They could be lasered out, I would advise to Not have me come up with the wording as they would be snarky. Something simple such as “No booze in the shop”

Would it draconian to formalize the rule?

draconian is such an off-putting term to use, makes me think of battlestar galactica.

lets try signage and hope common sense works out first.

if it persists, then take it a notch further. Make mention of it during orientations and getting authorizations.

2 Likes

So much for my big “Learn to use the Paper Cutter” kegger event.
papercuttergore

5 Likes

Well darn! I was going to come take pictures for Rustin’s newsletter!

1 Like

@squarenuts, thank you for your reply. To be fair, the latter phrasing of “no drinking in the shops” is more targeted than the “zero alcohol in the west wing” that preceded my comment.

Feels like my comment is going sideways because I used the term “Draconian” instead of its synonym “excessive”.

Let me start off by clarifying that in my comment above that I wasn’t taking a position for or against the use of alcohol at MakeICT specifically, rather I was initially giving an example of a place that has a policy in line with @Malissa’s comment.

I was, however, stating my personal opinion that policies shouldn’t be made overly broad, reactively, or punitively. I certainly for the use of policies that foster a healthy community, a functional environment, and, above all else, safety. My apologies if my wording somehow suggested otherwise.

As to the prompting topic of alcohol…

Some equipment, by its very nature, is dangerous to be around whether you’re the one actively using it or not, and some equipment is dangerous to be around and/or fragile even when not in use. My understanding is that studies show even a single drink alters cognition and response.

I would be in full support of areas to which this, or any other threat to safety, applies making whatever restrictions the area leads feel are appropriate. However, that is not the direction the conversation was headed. It was headed toward membership revocations, restricting a wing of the building or even the facility as a whole.

1 Like

@David BEST… GIF… EVER!

2 Likes

I was under the impression that we already have this policy in place regarding the prohibition of alcohol around equipment and activities where it would cause potential harm and/or be in violation of our insurance. Seems the waiver/membership agreement should state that this prohibition is agreed to and that this should be part of the orientation.

Not a single mention of the prohibition exists on any of the area Wiki pages to which it applies… apart from inside the contents of equipment product manuals.

Does the finding of cans in the trash warrant expansion of the policy or does it indicate a need for reeducation, reemphasis and/or reacknowledgement?

1 Like

It seems to me that security/safety could take the lead on proposing/composing/informing members and guests if there is to be any formal change to policy explicitly or interpreting an existing rule.

@Security

Are we makers or what lets make our own BEER.
I would vote for a nice Belgium Dubble!

2 Likes