SpaceX Starship 12.5 km Test Flight today (maybe)

Accurate pancake is accurate :grinning:

1 Like

For anyone who was watching another feed, the SpaceX feed had views from inside the skirt, over the “flaps” and pretty close of the landing . https://youtu.be/ap-BkkrRg-o

2 Likes

Well that video looks like it didnt go to plan. Yet still recalculated the shorter distance, reoriented and landed dead center with 1 fewer engine? Whoa.

1 Like

I watched the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, and Shuttle missions live, sometimes in the middle of the night, sometimes skipping school, and rarely missing any of them. I’m loving this. 2020 hasn’t turned out all bad, after all.

3 Likes

I had heard that the engine pressure wasn’t what they had expected. Ironically, with my back of the napkin math, had it taken place on Mars, it would have landed just fine

1 Like

SN9 is being rolled out to the launch site. I dont know when they are going to attempt the hop but surely they arent just going to leave it sitting out there for long.

1 Like

They did a static fire test for SN9 a day or two ago, but it was very short. Seems like there was some issue. But they’re back at it today. The road is closed, pad is clear, and SN9 is pressurized, anyway. They normally do a full SF test before a flight, so it is likely that’s what they’re doing today. Road closure window ends at 5pm CST (2300 UTC). Flight TFR’s 10th-12th from 8am-6pm CST (1400-2359 UTC), which means they could fly on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

2 Likes

Looks like they had to de-tank for some reason. Not sure whether it was the rocket or the tank farm that had the problem, but I’d expect they’ll try again tomorrow, unless it is an issue that takes longer to fix.

1 Like