Sinkhole, need truck or trailer to move fill

So a small sinkhole opened up in my backyard, and i need to fill it.
Bag sand is expensive, and I need a yard and a half of mason sand for my patio anyway but hadn’t budgeted for either of these things.
If someone has a hefty truck or small but robust trailer that could handle two yards of sand and an hour or two I would most grateful!!!

Man, and I think most dump truck services have a 6 yard minimum.

Are you needing a load of dirt or masonry sand? I think most half ton trucks are good for hauling a half yard at a time.

I’d like to pick up 3 yards of masonry sand.
Which is 2 tons according to Cornejo.

Are you sure you don’t have a sewer line break? Before filling in a sink hole I’d check what caused it.

1 Like

The streets and sewer crews both came out. But I’ll call my plumber too.

1 Like

How deep is the sinkhole? Maybe just make a small koi pond.

···

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022, 14:07 Aaron Rivers via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| squarenuts MakeICT Board Member, Woodshop Area Lead
September 8 |

• | - |

The streets and sewer crews both came out. But I’ll call my plumber too.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I’m not sure how much a couple yards of sand weighs but my flatbed will haul a couple tons. Unloading would be a bit of a pain since the tilt deck doesn’t have a means of tilting rn.

Edit: just read the comment about cornejo weigh estimate

The Cornejo weight estimate seems low for 3 cubic yards….everyone else says dry sand is at least 2200# per yard

Why sand instead of fill dirt?

That was my dyslexic fingers being backwards.

Because it coincides with my other project.
Purchase minimums put me near where I already need to be for my patio.
So, I guess economy of scale would be the real answer.

Well, however you end up moving it, be sure you strap it down well!

1 Like

There’s someone in Derby selling crushed asphalt for $10 per ton, delivered (with a 15 ton minimum, so $150). Do we need to fill out our parking lot at all?

6 Likes

I rented a dump trailer from Andover Rental a couple years ago for a reasonable price. Hauled tons of clay/dirt and brought back limestone pulled by a Tacoma. The next two weekends aren’t good for me but I can pull the trailer if you can wait.

1 Like

That van of yours should hold a lot if you fill it to the roof and keep the back doors closed! All you really need is to cut a decent-sized hole in the top and get a really big funnel…

3 Likes

@mikeb Sometimes I hate it when you’re right!

Sewage came out and dropped a few dye oacks and a few hundred gallons down the unphasedly thirsty sinkhole. A dyepack flushed down the toilet failed to make it to the sewer.

Looks like I’ve fallen in to a multi- thousand dollar expense.

Fortunately for all of you kind and generous folk and your much appreciated offers of assistance, I probably won’t be calling on it any time soon.

Thanks for all the support!

2 Likes

I’m not always happy when I’m right either. Sorry to hear that you’re going to have the unexpected expense.

2 Likes