Should we raise dues to recognize volunteers?

Jimmy,

I don’t see that anyone is trying to charge more for people who aren’t using the space.
But those folks definitely aren’t the only ones in the remaining 90%.

Curt

honestly, we need to get better at showing people the door who do not fit our organization and its mission… we do a great job of explaining our core mission to new members, that we are an all volunteer organization and that everyone owns the tools, ect at makeICT. if their is someone who is consistently causing more work for other members, and after repeatedly being asked if they can help maintain the tools they use refuses to do so…they need to find another space. Obviously their would be some guidelines to this. However if the problem at hand isnt money to pay overworked volunteers but people abusing the space why make more work for good members (committees, tracking hours, making plaques, ect) and instead just cut out the people causing a problem to begin with?

1 Like

Explain the concept to new members at maker Monday’s, Orientations and Key policy forms. Human interaction goes a long way.

Top down leadership at every level. Each Area sets policies and meets monthly. Need the shops thoroughly cleaned every 2 weeks. Talk to members who use that area and say, “Bob i wanted to ask you if you would help us out, our COMMITTEE cleans the shop every 2 weeks. It’s usually 3 or 4 guys who get together up here for a few hours on Saturday morning. Can you give us a hand next week?” Or “You should join the wood shop committee, were meeting this month on the 5th. We set policies and talk about projects and stuff. It’s super chill. Everybody is awesome.”

Volunteer organizations draw you in and build you up.

1 Like

sorry i hit the post button before i meant too, (dang phone). my suggestion is to toss the (1 in 100) guy holding the paddle in the water overboard…instead of trying to make more work for the 10% (with committees, logging hours, ect)

and because someone will bring it up… no we shouldnt charge someone more who doesnt want to clean or maintain the space… this is a volunteer organization… if you dont want to volunteer get a membership at gocreate and pay the $100+ a month to have someone clean up for you…cause their is no way they would pay the 200+ dollars a month in REAL cost they would incur to our volunteers. Not to bring up what a slap in the face it is to our organization and its mission.

Jimmy

i personally hate complexity (committees, tracking hours, ect) because they rarely accomplish the goal they were set out to do. I love your idea however, what if we just put a whiteboard up in each area with the tasks that needed done and the date they were last performed? That way if i was sitting watching the laser, plasma cutter, or router i could work on one of those tasks and update the date on the whiteboard? i wouldn’t have to come in on Saturday or whenever the committee met and could just help out when i could?

i know the laser cutter has a scheduled maintenance clipboard, not sure if others do. maybe we should just put that on a whiteboard instead?

ive got a few whiteboards im not using.

2 Likes

A white board with tasks isn’t… It’s not leadership.

Never said it was. We have a list of jobs to do that aren’t being done except by the 10% (if I’m understanding this convo correctly) … To distribute that load why not make it visible to everyone and see if that solves it?

2 Likes