Secretary Resignation - Board of Directors - MakeICT

This is harassment. Blocking the door, staring, refusing to speak, all for several minutes. We cannot dismiss or tolerate this at makeICT, or anywhere.

4 Likes

The weird staring man incident happened before there were cameras, and I don’t believe the person was actually a member, or if he was, didn’t stay long.

Ladeana, to be clear, he wasn’t looking around. He stood there and stared at me. I totally understand that people fall on a wide spectrum of social ease or awkwardness, but this was beyond that.

Lisa, have you seen him at the space since?

Hopefully, nobody would condone this. At least I don’t know of anyone who would think this behavior was okay.

No, I haven’t.

Well that is unsettling. Lets have security look into it. @security

Ladeana, I appreciate that, but it’s old news at this point, as it happened last fall. The main point of my post was that safety is questionable in our current location, might be even more questionable on St. Francis, and that we really need to think about making sure our space feels comfortable and inclusive to all people. I’d like to make in a climate in which I don’t feel like I have to brace myself for danger or being talked down to any time I come in. It’s something that I know I brush off way too much, out of a desire to avoid conflict in what I have considered my “happy place.”

Ok. It is a good issue to raise. I will make sure that we keep that in mind for any future location. AndI I totally get you wanting to keep it your “happy place”.

1 Like

This is no lol matter or an instance of a streotypical engineer, or one of the “…umm more technical guys…” having poor social skills. Perhaps you missed the part where the man blocked the door. Lisa was sexually harassed, physically threatened, and emotionally bullied. The matter should not be dimished or tolerated. Being creepy is not a nomal behaviour. You can’t normalize or excuse harassment.

2 Likes

Being an engineer, I know a lot of technical guys who have very poor social skills. I have had guys stay a little too long in my office blocking the door, get closer than I was comfortable with, and stand behind me rather creepily. If I hadn’t realized that those particular guys were… unaware they were being creepy because they just didn’t get social interactions right … I would have totally labeled them creepers and many of my female co-workers did. Not all people with poor social skills are creepers, but I am sure some are.

There is a lot of good discussion in this thread (and some not so good), but it is a pretty confusing jumble of several different topics and was started on a poor note. We’re going to lock this thread and try to sort some of the posts into more focused topics.

1 Like