Sawstop

Good morning everyone,
I was using the sawstop tablesaw this morning. Much to my regret the cartridge deployed. I am rather confused by this due to the lumber in question being dry, non burned and all the nails/other metal items removed (it was an old pallet that I was working on). My fingers did not make contact with the saw blade. I hate to have this piece of equipment down and feel horrible because apparently this (if my math is correct) is only the third time that this has occurred. I will be in the shop until roughly after noon so that we can talk about this event or you can call me at (316) 299-9043.
I will also leave the lumber in question on the saw for inspection by the the proper people.
Again…I’m sorry.

Thanks, for letting us know, I’m not sure about the use of pallet wood. Did you email @doug.wilson as well?

I sent Doug a heads-up about it this morning.

David

1 Like

It’s back in business!

Any info on what set it off? Staple/tack/nail in the pallet that wasn’t visible? Something else?

My guess, there must have been SOME trace feral metal left in the nail hole of the board. But nothing that the metal detector picked up on. If he’s being honest about his nail removal, than it could have happened to anyone. I think it may be wise to limit the use of reclaimed wood on the saw-stop, though.

It’s also possible that the brake on the cartridge somehow worked its way too close to the blade, which would definitely set it off. It gave me a lot of trouble when adjusting the gap between the blade and brake when I installed the new cartridge and brake, so if it happens again for no other apparent reason, then I think I’ll need to talk with the company.

Doug, I was in the shop this morning and had trouble with the Sawstop. It would (at random times) turn on and then immediately shut down. Towards the end of my session, it wouldn’t start at all. The code looked like a slow green flash and a solid red. Hope this helps.

Bruce Witbart

I’m waiting on a new cartridge from sawstop. I think the one we have is touchy. It seems to think the brake and blade distance is off, despite it being perfectly accurate. And I haven’t figured out how to get it to quit acting up.

In the mean time, if you try fidgeting with the riving knife, it usually causes the error to go away. Like, loosen, then tighten.

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks Doug.

I was hoping on coming to the woodshop Saturday morning between 6:30 and 7:00. If the Sawstop isn’t working by then it won’t do me any good to come in. Any idea as to when it will be fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce Witbart

It looks like a new brake won’t be in until Sunday. But I’ll tinker with it some more tonight to see if I can get it to cooperate more consistently.

I was in today and played with the riving knife, and couldn’t get it to malfunction after a while. I’m sure it isn’t fixed fixed, but it is usable fixed. At least at the moment.

I had this issue today, and messing with the riving knife fixed it. It looks like the clamp can touch the brake cartridge if it’s a bit loose, which messes up the touch detection and prevents the saw from starting. Maybe we can just put a piece of electrical tape between the two pieces and so they can’t touch?