Tell us about yourself
- I’m an engineer with about 10yrs in the field, in my spare time I dable in animatronics, automotive projects, and volunteer at a local highschool to help with their robotics program and electric vehicle challenge.
What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT?
- I’ve been able to grow steadily into different maker areas quickly with help that made learning and mastering these skills easier and fun.
What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member?
- I feel like I represent the general membership of MakeICT with a constant desire to create and urge to help make this community greater.
If you have served on the Board in the past, What do you feel you did right? What do you think you did wrong, or could have done better?
- Right? *I was able to provide an unbiased opinion to emotionally charged topics
- Wrong? *I did not coordinate with the people that automating some of the legal filing systems used very strongly
- Done Better? *I probably should have worked closer with Christian on the automation of several forms to help me understand the network system of MakeICT better.
Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term?
- I have been to all but a handful of Maker Mondays for the past 2 1/2yrs. Baring events happening during 7am to 3:30pm work hours, family events, outside political activities, volunteer events, or mentoring activities, I should be able to make board meetings as well.
It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership?
- I would keep doing what I’m doing, bring in and work on awesome projects that help inspire other makers to create, learn, and grow in areas they never imagine.
What should we do next?
- I would like to see the MakeICT Institute grow our impact to the surrounding community. Recently several schools have approached the MakerSpace to help them develop their technological side.
What are your thoughts about MakeICT’s direction in the coming year?
- I want to see MakeICT solidify it’s mission plan and follow thru with that plan.
What’s your agenda for what you want to accomplish in the coming year?
- My agenda is to see MakeICT grow in the community
How will you gauge whether we’re successful as an organization?
- That’s a difficult one to answer. We’ve been publicized in the past for what we do, and our membership continues to grow, but to gauge how we’re becoming a bigger difference in the community might have a less tangible answer.
What should our priorities be in terms of trying to find a different space versus extending the lease on our current building?
- There is a separate committee that has been created to help find a new space. I don’t think our location at 1500 Douglas has been fully utilized and has spurred creative options to improve the usefulness, but I think we will need to find a larger space in a near by area to support increased community collaboration within the next 2yrs.
Do you think MakeICT should focus on one space down town or multiple satellite locations in underserved communities?
- Again, there is the MakeICT institute and the MakerSpace, the institute is an umbrella to serve the maker community. If we have an arm of the institute find that they need a designated space, then an additional space or move to a larger space would be something that is discussed as the situation arose.
How should we operate?
- As we have been, Wichita’s greatest kept secret and able to evolve as the community changes.
Do you believe the Board should deal with day to day issues? Should area leads have more authority over day to day operations?
- Leads should be given more autonomy, but we may need to install a separate board to handle the day to day operations of such a large space.
Do you support an expansion of board terms from 1 year to 2 years? Why or why not?
- Given past experiences with other volunteer organizations, 1yr terms seem to take up more resources and time than necessary. A 2yr term would allow for people to be more focused on the institute after they get up to speed in what seems to be a 6month spool up period.
Would a 2 year term affect your decisions to accept a nomination?
- Possibly, but it is possible for someone to resign from the board given certain situations, so the term length is not like it is committing me to a 2yr marriage with the MakeICT Institute’s board members.
Would you support staggered elections June and December for general directors seats? Why or why not?
- I’m impartial on this, but we do also elect area leads in December.
Would you support staggered elections with half the board elected at each Annual meeting?
Tell us one thing the Board did in the last 12 months that needs an undo. Be specific.
- not undone, as much as done sooner. there were two sessions outside of normal monthly board meetings that focused on figuring out what direction the MakeICT Institute should follow and what aspects we need to focus on.
Tell us one thing not done in the last 12 months by the Board that still needs done. Be specific.
- Create a separate board to handle the MakerSpace to allow the Institute to focus on the macro aspect of our impact on the community.
Do you believe the entire membership should vote each year at the annual meeting on the organizations Standing Rules? Refer to Article III Section 2 of the bylaws.
- The size of our organization does make this task difficult, but all members should still have a say in the vote or given the option to abstain from the vote.