Router bit stuck in the collet

It’s me again,

I was using the router for the first time in a while, trying to re-get comfortable with using the tools, and the bit got stuck in the collet. :frowning: I couldn’t figure out how to get it out, though I tried. Sorry, y’all.

-Jon

I think it was that specific collet. I was in the shop today and also was having difficulties. I got the stuck bit out, grabbed a different 1/8th collet and it seemed to work just fine. It seems like maybe there is a burr inside the collet that bits are getting stuck on. The defective collet is on the ShopBot table with a note on it.

Chris

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had some difficulty removing bits from the router table as well. I don’t use it much, so I don’t really have a frame of reference on whether or not that is normal.

1 Like

It would be pretty easy to fabricate a small tool to gently remove bits from collets. I realize having a non-burred collet would be a good thing, though. I just imagine that sooner or later, someone’s going to try yanking a sharp bit from a collet and we’ll be taking them for stitches.

1 Like

Looks like i just need to order a new one. I’ll get on that.

1 Like