Riving Kife Question

Hello All,
I was in today (January 5th) and used the table saw. I was confused by the riving knife. It was setting ~ 1/2" above the height of the blade. It is a silver riving knife.

I am almost positive the one I have seen in the past was black, and it tracked the hight of the blade. So, If you were cutting a groove in the underside of a board it will not get in the way.

I will have a need for the proper knife in the near future (i.e. if I had it today i would have used it today). Does anyone know what has happened to the proper one?

Here is a pic of a Sawstop Riving Knife. It is visibly shorter than the one in the previous photos.

1 Like

That is the proper one. The blade is too small.

···

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023, 8:40 PM Mike Arnold via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| marnold MakeICT Member
January 6 |

• | - |

Hello All,
I was in today (January 5th) and used the table saw. I was confused by the riving knife. It was setting ~ 1/2" above the height of the blade. It is a silver riving knife.

I am almost positive the one I have seen in the past was black, and it tracked the hight of the blade. So, If you were cutting a groove in the underside of a board it will not get in the way.

I will have a need for the proper knife in the near future (i.e. if I had it today i would have used it today). Does anyone know what has happened to the proper one?

Here is a pic of a Sawstop Riving Knife. It is visibly shorter than the one in the previous photos.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Seriously? I am almost positive the old one was black (like the SawStop product). That one is visibly shaped differently than the SawStop product. So, do we have a proper sized blade?

Last week this was not an issue. I made similar cuts last week with no problem… Did we change blades?

1 Like

It’s the right riving knife. It’s a 10" blade. Something is not adjusted right.

2 Likes

Thanks to Dave’s (whateg01) help the Sawstop is back in order. The blade arbor was slightly pivoted out of place maybe from the last blade brake trigger? Once that problem was fixed the blade would not lower completely due to dust buildup so he cleaned it out.
Thanks Dave!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you all. I used a shopvac and cleaned out where I could see, but I don’t take anything apart lol. I know my limits, and that aint it.

I appreciate it.

2 Likes

That riving knife says “for use with 10” blades. The black one that you’re probably thinking about is the one that’s attached to the blade guard. But that one’s not really a riving knife.

My table saw at home is an 8-inch, so it’s possible that someone brought in their own and just forgot to change it back. There should be more blades in that first room, but you’d have to check with our woodshop lead to know for sure. woodshop@makeict.org

Doug Wilson

···

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 9:43 PM Mike Arnold via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| marnold MakeICT Member
January 6 |

• | - |

Seriously? I am almost positive the old one was black (like the SawStop product). That one is visibly shaped differently than the SawStop product. So, do we have a proper sized blade?

Last week this was not an issue. I made similar cuts last week with no problem… Did we change blades?

In Reply To

| doug.wilson MakeICT Board Member & Printshop Lead
January 6 |

• | - |

That is the proper one. The blade is too small. ··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thank you Doug,
I appreciate the benefit of the doubt, but I think I was just wrong about it being black. I just knew something was off, and it is fixed now. I appreciate the feedback.

Mike A.

2 Likes