Replacing broken router bit

Hey guys,

Just fyi, I broke a 1/8 “ router bit on the shop bot, replaced it, only to break one again. Ill be bringing up a replacement on my next visit. Sorry.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know. Any idea why they broke? Travel speed?

1 Like

By me just being stupid and doing things wrong. Nothing to do with travel speed or anything. I plunged into the work piece and moved by accident without the router spinning. I also ran over a screw holding the work piece down by accident in my program. I guess a mixture of stupidity and bad luck haha.

1 Like

Lessons learned lol

1 Like

I don’t know much about the shop bot but I was just curious if an accident like this could knock something out of alignment, making a realignment procedure necessary? I’ve been around some CNC equipment in the machine shops I’ve worked in and wondered about similarities for this issue.
I imagine it takes a harder hit than that to cause problems.
I’m new here and haven’t been to my first Makers Monday, nor have I even been in the building yet. Looking forward to that and to learning about all the different machines, etc.

1 Like

Highly unlikely in this case. The 1/8” bits are so small and fragile, dosnt take much to shear it right off. But i am still new to all this as well

1 Like

I didn’t think it would be much of an issue with such a small bit. It probably also depends on how robust the machine itself is. Are the bits you use made of HSS or carbide?
Hopefully that doesn’t happen to you again.

Unfortunately, I believe it was a Diablo carbide router bit. I might buy a couple spares, I’m sure as a beginner I will break a few bits. The 1/8” was the last one left at Ace Hardware, so I have one coming from Amazon now. I just lost my patience and got excited that I finally got the shop bot to run again. Got ahead of myself and tried making a second piece in a short time.

1 Like

Carbide is a lot tougher than HSS and will usually hold a sharp edge lots longer, but it’s also much more brittle. That makes them easier to chip or break with a hard hit (or dropping them on the concrete floor). And as I’m sure you know, carbide is usually way more expensive than HSS too. It’s worth the extra cost most of the time.

1 Like

Actually carbide is far less tough, which is why it is brittle. It is harder, which is why the edge does not wear as quickly.

2 Likes

I agree. Tough was the wrong word. Carbide is hard enough to hold the edge better as long as there is little or no shock to that edge.

3 Likes

1/8” bit replaced!

4 Likes