Planting tonight in communal bed(s)

Since garden committee activity has died down, I am going to have one or more of the middle school kids Kim Burton has coming tonight help me finish clearing a communal bed or two and plant winter peas to facilitate soil improvement through next spring. So if you see a bed that looks especially tidy, be aware it may be freshly planted.

BTW I was throwing the old tomato plants in the trash per Master Gardener recommendations to reduce the disease load in our soils. Other plants I’ve been placing in the compost, but if there are any plants with heavy parasites we should dumpster them also.

I would greatly appreciate it if the aromatic asters and other ornamentals and herbs are left intact to overwinter. It’s good for pollinators to keep them, and it will facilitate dividing the asters in the spring.

3 Likes

Thank you, Sherry. My brother has been in hospice and has since passed. I’ve been flying out to Los Angeles and dealing with family stuff. I appreciate you keeping the effort going.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss, @SeanSandefur. I knew you had other priorities. Just let us know when you’re ready to be back.

The volunteers were super efficient. We got 3 beds cleared and planted. I’ll water them sometime in the next few days if it doesn’t rain there today. I still need to pick up the one cucumber tunnel I de-constructed.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss bud! :broken_heart:

I planted some of peas i got from Jesse with the intention of harvesting microgreens they have done really nice!

3 Likes