Paul's Answers for the 2018 Election

Tell us about yourself:
My name is Paul Maseberg and I joined MakeICT just over a year ago. I have also been an assistant in the metalshop for about a year. My day job is a software engineer for AccuWeather. I grew up on a ranch making things and while I love my job, MakeICT has been an awesome outlet for getting out from behind a desk.

What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT?
I helped with the funding raising auction last fall. As a new member it was a great way to get to know a lot of people quickly and see some of the great skills of other members.

What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member?
In the last 10 years at my work I have learned the value of being objective. As humans, we like our own ideas, but we are often better served by combining our efforts and sometimes that means changing our minds.

Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term?
Yes.

It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership?
By making sure we have the best run Makespace we can given our resources. The building and equipment is the cornerstone to MakeICT. Getting people involved to support those two things is key to make sure the mission is possible.

What should we do next?
Ask what will take MakeICT to the “next” level. To me the answer is a better building, more and better equipment, and better classes and other support to help members learn.

What are your thoughts about MakeICT’s direction in the coming year?
MakeICT has continued to grow in members. This year it will be important to see what we can do to handle that growth. I think a big building will help, but that is the “easy part”. I think the question of how to scale the MakeICT community will be key to keeping members coming back.

What’s your agenda for what you want to accomplish in the coming year?
Approve a plan for a new building.

How will you gauge whether we’re successful as an organization?
Look at the membership and see if they are happy.

What should our priorities be in terms of trying to find a different space versus extending the lease on our current building?
The building is core to MakeICT. Some areas are very poorly served by the current building, such as Ceramics. Moving to a new building will be the greatest challenge MakeICT has to face. It could take several years to put together all the pieces to make a successful move possible. I personally would like to see looking for a new building be one of the boards number one priorities. I feel like if MakeICT is going to move, then do it right. Raise as much money as possible and get the best space possible to support the areas better then the current building does.

Do you think MakeICT should focus on one space down town or multiple satellite locations in underserved communities?
Focusing on the smallest number of things will lead to the best chance of success. In the next couple of years I would say focus on one space. After that, see what makes sense.

How should we operate?
MakeICT should serve the members first. Building, equipment, and classes are at the top of the list to do that. If those three things are done right others will follow along.

Do you believe the Board should deal with day to day issues? Should area leads have more authority over day to day operations?
The board should be focused on the future as much as possible. That will not be 100% possible, but the more the areas can deal with issues the better focused the board will be. There are so many issues that can come up, it will be impossible for the board to not be involved, but ideally as time goes by the handling of issues become better defined and pushed down as much as possible.

Do you support an expansion of board terms from 1 year to 2 years? Why or why not?
Not at this time. I think the real issues people talk about have nothing to with the term limit.

Would a 2 year term affect your decisions to accept a nomination?
It would make me think three times (not just twice).

Would you support staggered elections June and December for general directors seats? Why or why not?
No. At this point it just adds confusion and the general membership will be best served by keeping it simple and voting once a year.

Would you support staggered elections with half the board elected at each Annual meeting?
Same as above.

Tell us one thing the Board did in the last 12 months that needs an undo. Be specific.
I don’t feel that the board did anything in the last year that needs to be undone.

Tell us one thing not done in the last 12 months by the Board that still needs done. Be specific.
A lot of talk about a new building has been happening since the time I joined. The board has not committed to this at a level that I feel it needs to. I know there is a committee but, I feel the board needs to have more involvement in the process and be more focused on it.

Do you believe the entire membership should vote each year at the annual meeting on the organizations Standing Rules? Refer to Article III Section 2 of the bylaws.
I don’t think most of the membership wants to be that involved at that level, so no.

2 Likes

Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?

At the Makerspace, sometimes new members might do something that is unsafe or just bad like leave the area a mess and so on. As an assistant Lead, I find it best to ask what they are doing and why first. I don’t want to just tell them your doing it wrong and to stop it (unless it is so unsafe someone might be hurt in the moment). Once I have talked to them and got their side of the story I will then tell them the feedback. At that point, the people will either say, “o I see I will change” or they will be like “I know better”. If I get the second type of person then I will more firmly repeat what the feedback is and tell them that is how it is and if they want to disagree they can go to the lead or the director.

2 Likes

If selected for this position, can you describe your strategy for the first 90 days?

What techniques and tools do you use to keep yourself organized?

I would talk with other board members and with other people with past time on the board. I would be most interested in what has been tried before and what has gone well and what went bad. I would then focus on the three issues I am running for

1. Ensure the current Makespace is the safe best space possible.
  2. Work on the task need to actually get and move to new bigger space.
  3. Work on ways to grow the core grow that does most of the work.

To keep organized and use tools like trello to create and track task. Put events on my calendar.

Candidates- list the makerspace areas and rate your proficiency in them.

Does proficiency in the areas matter?

Electronics and Rapid Prototyping - I have taken classes on Electronics and really enjoyed it. I am a bit rusty but I have a working understanding. I don’t know anything about the rapid prototyping.

FabLab - I have used LASER cutter and it is awesome. I need to take the other classes for 3D printing and vinyl cutting.

Metalshop - Spent the most time in the metalshop. Still a lot to learn and get better at, but I can use most of the equipment.

Ceramics - I have no idea. What people do in here is like magic. I love to see what comes out of this area and hope to try it out in the upcoming year. I don’t think I will have any skill here, but I like to try new things.

Woodshop - Spent a lot of time in the workshop. Can use just about everything.

Textiles - Have not work at all in the area. Did some projects as a child. I get the general idea, but know I lack the skill set.

Printmaking - Have not used anything in the area. I have talked to people about the process and fine it interesting. Plan on taking a class on screen printing this year.

Jewelry Lab - No really knowledge on what is possible.

I thing knowing about all the areas is important. I have given a lot of tours of the space and first few times some of the areas I could not talk about at all. I have ask and learned about each area, so I can at least give a better tour.

As a board member, knowing the space well is important to make sure decisions are based on facts. With the planning to move to a new building a lot of details about areas will be important to ensure a new space is a upgrade for all.

2 Likes