New Woodshop Access Policies for review

I upgraded my standard glasses, 3 pairs of glasses ago. I got actual certified safety glasses (including the plastic side pieces). The first pair, saved my eyes sharpening woodturning gouges over 2 years. Then I got to replace them because trying to read was impossible because of the small scratches and damage from the sharpening. A $20 pair of safety glasses over the prescription glasses or a good face shield is a lot better than $200 - $500 per pair of glasses. And they cover the sides of the eyes, that normal glasses do not cover.

I had children from 10 up, in some of the Jillianā€™s Ornament Classes last December. A parent was present. The problem with woodturning is age and height. I do think a responsible adult should be present under 16. If the waiver is signed by a parent, a grandparent, uncle, Next door neighbor, sibling over 18 or a Big from BB/BS program would be great. We need to allow 21st Century American Families to encourage appropriate aged youth to participate.

John

1 Like

This isnā€™t really up to us. I doubt that a signature from anyone other than a parent or legal guardian would hold any weight legally.

4 Likes

I miss punctuated my post. The comma after parent should have been a semi-colon or better a period.

No problem with the proper legal person having to sign the waiver. Responsible adult along should be fairly wide open, given the diversity of Adults in the lives of Children today.

Publicizing the openness of the policy might be a great way to attract class attendance and membership.

The ages should be determined by the Area Leads.

John

Christian, you are correct - and the language of the current waiver for a minor reflects that, requiring parent(s) or court apponted legal guardian(s) to sign.

2 Likes