New Laser Cutter Progress

Laser Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lasers

This week I sent an email out to the folks who donated to the laser, I thought itā€™d be nice if they got to learn to use it first, plus you know theyā€™re serious! I went through the workflow with them Thursday night, we made some cuts and documented some things, and weā€™re going to use it as a small group for at least this month to see if there are any more kinks to work out.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember seeing an email from you this week, @kim, but as someone who donated to that laser, Iā€™d love to be a part of the group getting to learn how to use it.
Let me know when weā€™re going through it!

I also donated and donā€™t recall seeing this email.

I did not donate directly to the new laser cutter fund, but I am eager to see some training or documentation on the new laser cutter. I came in Sunday night to do some laser-ing for work, but old laser was down. I still havenā€™t been able to do it since the maintenance on the old laser is still ongoing. The new laser sat there, beckoning me. Taunting me. Teasing me. But with no training or documentation, and knowing that there are still some nuances being sorted out, I didnā€™t feel comfortable guessing around on it.

This isnā€™t a criticism of anything or anyone, by the way. I appreciate all the effort going into both laser cutters. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not news to anyone that people are eager to use the new laser, but Iā€™m just throwing my hat in there anyway. My immediate task is for work, and I can allocate some of my work-time to helping if there is a way for me to be helpful. :slight_smile:

Unless somebody stops me Iā€™m going to label them Mario and Luigi. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™m good with that. Or Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.
Or Thelma and Louise.
Or Laurel and Hardy.
Or George and Gracie.
Or Beavis and Butt-head.
Or The Green Hornet and Kato.
Or Batman and Robin.
Or Wayne and Garth.
Or Tom and Jerry.
Or Andy and Barney.
Or Fred and Barney.
Or Wilma and Betty.
Or Bert and Ernie.
Or Felix and Oscar.
Or Mulder and Scully.
Or Han and Chewy.
Or Luke and Leia.
Or Bonnie and Clyde.
Or Simon and Garfunkel.
Or Pebbles and Bam-Bam.
Or Artoo and Threepio.
Or Calvin and Hobbes.
Or Cheech and Chong.
Or Bugs and Daffy.
Or Mickey and Minnie.
Or Hall and Oates.
Or Romeo and Juliet.
Or Starsky and Hutch.
Or Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Or Boris and Natasha.
Or Sonny and Cher.
Or Smith and Wesson.
Or Kirk and Spock.
Orā€¦well, you get the idea.

Red and Green

Hey @dom - I taught this latest authorization class to use the green laser instead of the red one. It went REALLY well! The software was much easier for the new folks, and as a bonus it doesnā€™t hang up on generating designs. Itā€™s true I havenā€™t had time to get screenshots and write up the software-related aspects of the workflow but I figure if a good size crowd learns to use it, youā€™ll be able to elbow somebody for help?

There also might be an opportunity here, would anybody like to volunteer to be a fablab software documenter for this transition?

Another issue is that I have not had time to learn everything about the new software, I know how to do what I do but on a lot of questions, we just have to figure it out together, thatā€™s why I havenā€™t scheduled some kind of big demo night.

Anyway Dom I like you and I will happily teach you to use it if you want to meet up sometime, Iā€™m around this week/weekend.

1 Like

Tell me when youā€™re doing the next class and I will set in and document.

1 Like

Sunday at 6! Probably wonā€™t explain RD works until 7 though.

Thatā€™s another option I tell people: if youā€™re already an authorized user, you can crash my classes for free. I am teaching the green laser now. If you are not authorized or if you would like to go through the project on a laptop and have a turn pressing buttons to make your own project, please register for the class because time is limited to get everybody through all that. But if you just want to observe silently in the back then watch others, thatā€™s cool.

2 Likes