Moisture content question

Hey all,

I recently purchased a moisture meter due to having warping issues with projects. It turns out, all of the wood (pine) I’ve used has 17.5-19.5% moisture. No wonder I’ve had trouble. Some if it is even “quality” dimensional lumber from Menards. It’s suppose to be kiln dried. My question is, is this normal in Wichita? Does anyone have any recommendations on where/how I can get some drier lumber ( less than 14%)?

Not sure if you still have a bunch of wood that needs dried, but a buddy of mine used to take his out to Valley Center to get kiln dried. The name of the place escapes me. Elderly Wood? Something similar.

So close. https://eldersliewoodworks.com/

Im sorry, my mistake. I think I was using the wrong setting on my meter. There is a different setting for pine, fir, and white wood. All of which I assumed to be the same. Now in getting more like 13.5%, which seems normal

1 Like

Although I would deff prefer something under 10%. I think I’ll be getting some Oak from Elderslie soon.

1 Like

I get all my lumber from Richard's Wood Shop (316) 200-0512

2 Likes

For those of you who are looking for a source for domestic hardwoods, Richard has a lot. I’ll be dropping by a stack of his business cards in the woodshop this evening. I’ll leave them on the blackboard chalk tray near the door (and near the SawStop). I asked him for a few the last time I was there so I could leave them at the space.

2 Likes

Dang it, that’s on the way home too.

1 Like