Metal table leg

This metal patio chair has two broken welds. A bit sentimental since it was handed down in the family. The MIG welder would be appropriate? It’s been 20 years since I took metal shop in highschool!

Plan of action:

1. Make sure my badge still works.
  2. Wirebrush the contact surfaces of paint and rust. ( I did have the metalshop orientation at the old location–not sure if I need to re-up?).
  3. Orient and clamp for planar, level feet.
  4. Weld (How do I go about getting qualified on the welder? Also, how does charging for the consumables for the MIG work?)
  5. Clean and Rustoleum the set, which I’ll probably do from home. (Any better lasting, finishing suggestions?)

Looking for any and all suggestions or help!

Thanks,
Andrew

4 Likes

For what it is, I wouldn’t worry much about a perfect weld. But with it rusty like that (I’m assuming it didn’t break last night, so there is some rust in the broken area), you might fight porosity in the weld. If you can angle the rod/gusset back a bit to get in and clear out as much rust as possible, that will help. You can always replace what you grind away with weld/filler. If you aren’t able to get rid of the rust, MIG will still glue it together. But if that’s the case, I would probably stick it with 6010/6011. It won’t be the prettiest thing, but it won’t care much about the rust and paint that is there.

3 Likes

I too have a piece of furniture like this that needs a quick weld. Thanks, my question was answered and I never asked it

2 Likes

I missed the notification on latest metal shop training, and I’m not sure when the next intro welding course will be offered. I have some electrodes from harbor freight I picked up. I’m wondering if I could compensate someone with the right credentials to help me out?

1 Like