Made discourse publicly viewably

I unchecked the “Require authentication to read content on this site, disallow anonymous access.” box today. I see no reason why this forum needs to be private.

To post, you still have to have an invite. I’ll invite anybody who’s interested, member or not, shoot me an email (kim at makeict.org).

I logged out and verified that I could read topics, but could not see the admin category.

1 Like

Looks like 28 members have made it to discourse as of right now.

Not to be a “Negative Nellie”, but once you get here, there’s no way to get back to the main MakeICT site? I’m not sure who the admins are on here & I didn’t see a “Forum Support” section, so here I am.

Also, is there no way to move some of the old, ongoing, discussions from the old group here?

Thanks,
Ian

1 Like

Negative!

Just kidding, good questions.

Getting back to makeict.org - how would you want to go back? There’s technically no way to get to it now from the google group. Personally when I click the big “makeict” logo up top I’d rather go to the forum homepage, because I’ve seen our main homepage and it doesn’t change that often.

Old discussions - it’s hard to draw a line between ongoing vs. not ongoing, that’s why we’re doing this week of transition thing where you can still post in both places. I’d say if you personally posted up a topic in the old forum that you think it still unresolved and needs a lot more discussion, re-post it here, maybe with a summary of and link to the old discussion. The old topics won’t really auto-move very well. But I figured, most things only need a few days of discussion and then they sort of die out, so I wasn’t going to sweat it too much.

1 Like

Ah, I guess that’s the difference. I never pull up the Google groups directly, I always go to MakeICT.org/forums, which no longer works, since it now redirects here. :slight_smile:

When did we stop requiring an invite to sign up on discourse? I don’t think we really need invites, but I am surprised.

@Christian it looked like you have a badge for “Being an active member of MakeICT”. That’s awesome and a good way to justify not requiring an invite.

We turned off the requirement a while ago. Anyone could request an invite, so it didn’t serve any purpose other than to create more admin work.

The badge on my profile was a small test. One of the many plans we have in the pipeline is to display such a badge on the profiles of active members. It will require some programming, though, and isn’t high on my personal list of things to work on.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for fixing my post. I got a little careless with my cookies there. :sweat_smile: