Luigi focus

Teaching my laser class and did autofocus correctly on luigi. Unable to cut in one pass with power setting of 50-60 and speed of 15. Perhaps the laser head isn’t in the correct position and needs calibration?

The autofocus is not very reliable. It’s probably loose again. I don’t know if it’s being run into things or just vibrating loose. I’m working on a replacement that works more like the one on Mario.


I took a look at it today, it’s definitely loose and bent. I didn’t get a chance to fix it, so anyone who uses the laser should manually focus it. I should have a working replacement ready in the next couple days.

1 Like

The head gets way higher than the prox switch, I think everybody should know the fine art of adjusting the head height if they notice that. Also that 7mm yellow square I printed is a decent sanity check.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any need for people to adjust the head if I get this new probe working. The inductive probe will be removed and the new one will be mounted to the head like the one on Mario. Using a gauge block to double check and manually focus would be a good thing for people to know, though.

Thanks Christian! I’m totally in support of the new focus head, thanks for doing that.

I was just saying that knowing how to set the head manually seems better than upping the power so you can blast through out of focus, the member I helped Thursday was at 60% making multiple passes just to get through our stock MDF!

Yeah, I would definitely agree with that. I thought you were talking about re-adjusting the head offset in relation to the inductive probe.

1 Like

I replaced the autofocus probe on Luigi. Here’s what it looks like now:

All you have to do is line up the head above your material (usually in the center) and hit the autofocus button. Easy peasy. The black disk is no longer a part of the process.

This is still a work in progress, so please be gentle with it. In particular, don’t pull down on the probe. It’s currently only held on by two plastic rings that are pressed onto the top of the rods.

Here’s a video of it doing its thing.


That looks pretty slick @Christian…thanks for installing that.