Light Bar Power

I am hanging this in my son’s room. It was gifted to him by the fire department in Florida when we stopped in to visit them after a serious car accident. It functions, or at least they said it does. I am hoping a power supply could be connected to turn it on and off. I do not know what to use. Can anyone advise me? Should I hire someone to hook it up or is it fairly easy? My skill level stops at being able to install a light switch or electrical outlet.

3 Likes

Should be either 12 or 24 volts. Start with 12. Problem is going to be current consumption.

Is there a model number?

3 Likes

There does not appear to be. Just this plate

1 Like

That looks like one off a inspector/rescue truck and not an engine so most likely 12vdc. Put an inline 10-15a fuse on the red line and touch it to a car battery. Red +, black -. One of three things will happen: It will light up, the fuse will pop, or nothing happens.

3 Likes

https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/7977

Not 100% sure it’s that model. It looks like the model 25 matches pretty well, except number of lights? (Can’t tell if there are 8 & something in the center (speaker that’s not brought out? and model 24?)) It kinda looks like it may have been in the upper right of that label, but I can’t read it at all if there’s even anything there.

2 Likes

Then there is this guy

https://code3garage.com/federal-signal-aerodynic-aerotwinsonic-lightbar/

···

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023, 14:27 James Lancaster via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| jameslancaster MakeICT Board Member
March 3 |

• | - |

https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/7977

Not 100% sure it’s that model. It looks like the model 25 matches pretty well, except number of lights? (Can’t tell if there are 8 & something in the center (speaker that’s not brought out? and model 24?)) It kinda looks like it may have been in the upper right of that label, but I can’t read it at all if there’s even anything there.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

@james.a.seymour Have you seen any of these light bar videos on the light bar channel? Hours of light bar entertainment.

1 Like

This one is pretty close:

I found it here. Looks like 12 volts is right.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what bulbs it uses, but if it’s somewhat standard, you can replace them with LED of whatever brightness you want and use considerably less current.

2 Likes

I worked for Reno county as a radio technician for a brief time. I learned to troubleshoot them a bit. The system is super easy to work with. Just pay close attention to the gears in there. That plastic can break easy, then you have to print a new one. That’s a great find!

···

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023, 18:52 David Hanson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| whateg01
March 4 |

• | - |

I’m not sure what bulbs it uses, but if it’s somewhat standard, you can replace them with LED of whatever brightness you want and use considerably less current.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

It is off the brush truck.

I counted 8 spinning lights and in the center is another light. Im going to guess the center light flashes but not sure.

And this is why my son has a light bar. He is autistic and was terrified of the firefighters and rescue personnel. When they learned he loves watching them on youtube they gave him this one.

How do I go about connecting the 12 v to it? Would a landscaping switch work?

1 Like

If it sends 12v DC that has enough current then yes.

1 Like

Ok, ill get one of those. I think I can handle conecting it. Fingers crossed it works.

1 Like

What are you using for a power supply? How did you decide how much power it needs?

@whateg01 Im going to get a 12v landscaping switch and hope it gives it enough power.

1 Like

Ok. I guess I don’t know what is special about a landscaping switch. I figured it was just what it says it is - a switch.

Yeah, can you post a link to an example of what you are planning to try? I’m not familiar with that type of switch and my searches weren’t very helpful. Does it have a built in transformer?

2 Likes

@whateg01 I may be calling it the wrong name. Its a 12v power supply that can be attached to landscape decor or lights. It plugs into an outlet, has an on/off switch, one of those square boxes on it that I really have no idea what it does other than make it safe to use a regular power outlet. On the other end is just plain wiress that can be connected to the item needing power.

2 Likes

Something like this but with an on/off switch.

2 Likes