Learn American Mah Jongg Friday Night?

Looking for at least 3 others who would like to learn American Mah Jongg on Friday night at 6:00pm.
I started playing a couple of years ago but haven’t played in a year due to this isolation mess.
I’m vaccinated and we can be masked and use the lounge. American Mah Jongg is not at all like the computer game. It uses Chinese character tiles and is somewhat like rummy. I’ll be in the lounge at 6 Friday. I’d appreciate a heads up if you plan on coming. Recommend middle school age and up. Questions? call or test 316-866-1798 Brian. Maybe we can also plan a weekday afternoon. Hope to see you there.

2 Likes

Damn! I am going to be out of town on Friday. I have been looking forward to finding some new MahJongg players. I have been playing MahJongg for several years under Japanese rules, but would love to lean American MahJongg. I will keep an eye out for the next time you want to get together.

2 Likes

One more time. I’ll be in the lounge at 6. Come learn a new game, Mah Jongg. Thanks, hope to see some folks there.

1 Like

Brian, Did anyone show on Friday?

Unfortunately no. I could have listed it as an activity on the calendar and given more notice but it was on a whim and I hoped somebody was missing game night.

I can’t be around again on a Friday or Saturday until May 21-22. I really like the game. It requires a lot of thinking and Make has a lot of smart people who I think would like the game as well.

My Tuesdays and Thursdays are almost always open afternoons and evenings and I’d be happy to show you how to play sometime. If you’re interested let me know.

Brian Pressnall

316-866-1798

bpressnall@cox.net

2 Likes

I am not available this Tuesday or Thursday (4th & 6th) but normally those days are open. I work days so, afternoons are out for me.
Look forward to getting together.

1 Like

That is disappointing Brian. I should have come over. I think we should get game night restarted. Are Thursdays and Saturdays still good for those who want to play games?

2 Likes

I agree LaDeana. I would gladly get there for a good challenge! I bought Space base btw. I cant remember that young guys name that brought that in while he was in town for his internship.

Hey Erik, it was me, Alex. Kip pointed me towards this conversation, Space Base has an expansion or two now. Hope game night does get going again as I work in town full time now!

2 Likes

That was a lot of fun! I play it with my wife and kids now!

1 Like

We found Catan through game night and now have 3 versions and a couple of expansion packs. We find we play dice Catan the most because we can play 2-3 games in a couple of hours or less. Having game night back would be a good boost for membership.

If you have a game night I would definitely be interested in coming, and I have quite a few games I could bring.

1 Like

I would be interested in Game Night! I have quite a few games to offer. Maybe every week, Friday one week and Saturday the next? Keep me posted!

1 Like

Dang it! I just saw this! I have been in New York the past month and just got back. I am interested in learning if you are able to do it again. I have really wanted to learn this game for a long time but haven’t seen anyone who can teach a beginner. Let me know if you’re going to give it another go and I will arrange to be there. I can bring my husband too if there is a need for more people.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I really like the challenge of this game and its mix of 20% chance and 80% thinking. I’m booked this weekend and next weekend. But I’d love to teach a beginner and possible have a semi regular get together for a game. My wife is a beginner as well and could come to to fill in some too. I can teach a single though. The game is best played with 4 but there are variations for two or three.
I’m a retired guy with lots of volunteer gigs but usually available weekday afternoons and most weekends. My contact info is listed in the thread. Pick a day you like after the 17th and we’ll try to make it work. We could put it on the calendar too and may get a better response.

2 Likes

I just sent in the info to make this a class on the calendar. Trying to make Friday May 21st at 6:00pm our first scheduled beginner American Mah Jongg class. Hope to see you there.

2 Likes

I told my husband about this, we plan to hit you up next Friday the 14th, with our son as well. Will reach out.

Just made it a “class” for the 21st. I’m not available for the 14th. Unfortunately my Dance card is full until the 17th. If the 21st won’t work I’d be happy to meet with you most afternoons or evenings after the 17th. This is a logical thinking game I’d bet you would love.

Brian Pressnall
Bpressnall@cox.net
316-866-1798 (cell)

1 Like

I will be there on the 21st. Thanks so much for offering this.

What time on the 21st?

1 Like