Larger storage spaces?

I totally would have guessed they were bigger than a few picometers. Just goes to show that the camera adds a few pounds. Or kg?

Ladies and gentlemen and non-binary folk, I give you exhibit #479 of why I’d like to have additional project storage space.

sigh I should’ve picked a lighter hobby, like crossword puzzles or something.

4 Likes

Those huge storage racks are definitely tempting… But would something like the roll around carts they use at the phoenix makerspace be as beneficial? Especially with putting everything on wheels.

There is a photo of what they’re using in last December’s newsletter on the very last page.

https://us12.campaign-archive.com/?u=f9091c3e9b5c5caf1ac88d737&id=2bdcf88cd9

1 Like

You mean this? Not really workable for larger projects still, but still nice. Not sure how that would work for personal use, though— where would we park them?

2 Likes

Yes, just an idea, definitely think we could do bigger. I’m thinking it might make life easier for a big rollable storage cabinet that fits through doorways…

1 Like

How about 20 rollable storage cabinets that fit through doorways, with locks on them, that live in classroom 4 when not in use?

2 Likes

Why does that sound like you have something in mind? :slight_smile:

I always have something in mind. :wink:

But specifically I’m thinking of the steadily-growing collection of possible parts I’m accumulating, and how I’d really love to have them in one easily-accessible place near the area where I’d be assembling them, and how regardless of what organization methods I use, a dolly loaded down with boxes of steel moved regularly from my car to the hot shop just isn’t cutting it anymore.

(And yes, I am planning to get a bigger car. Eventually. But in the meantime, I would really love to start on bigger art weld projects, like proper outdoor sculptures such as one for MakeICT’s garden. That’s going to be difficult without a place to keep parts of any size and variety to select from. I already feel bad about keeping a PVC tube of pipes and rods in the scrap rack in the shop. :slightly_frowning_face:)

But in case it wasn’t clear, I didn’t intend to use 20 rollable cabinets just for myself! A bigger version of that cart in the picture would probably do just fine for me. I was assuming that other people would probably want something similar.

4 Likes

I have heard of other makerspaces implementing ‘work tables’ where people can not only work on projects long term, but be used for storage and be modified as needed. These were 4ft by 8ft tables, but maybe we could get away with a rolling version of that, like a 2ft x 3ft cart that you could bolt extra storage solutions to and easily be moved from room to room.

4 Likes

Yep. Space is at a premium.
I plan to implement larger woodshop cubbies, but with a heafty monthly fee associated.

1 Like

“Nature abhors a vacuum” -Aristotle (attributed)

Would something like a laptop cart (with or without interior shelves) work? They seem to always go pretty cheap at the school auctions around here.

3 Likes

A laptop cart would be way too small. Something like this is more like it.

I think we could build them more cheaply than buying-- the issue would be where to keep them.

3 Likes

That looks smaller than the laptop charging carts I bought at the auction last year or maybe year before.

2 Likes

That cart is pretty cool. I could see it being really useful to have along with football locker room lockers. They are steel mesh cages stacked 2 high large enough for all the pads and gear football players wear.

At least that’s what they had at my middle school and high school.

1 Like

The lockers looked like this but seems like they were about 50% wider and about twice as deep.

fa0c175db0b2315846802419b836ba5f

1 Like