It's Kiosk time!

@ladeana, what I see so far is awesome. @Christian, does this need to go on github?

Per Christian’s suggestion, I’m going to bring in my touchscreen monitor (identical to the makerspace’s) so that Christian can work on one at home. We can use mine for building out the top of the cabinet, then swap them out when he’s done with the other one at home.

1 Like

Are we having a kiosk meeting this evening? Did Imiss one… or is it next week?

The meetings are set up every 2 weeks.

Probably.

The monitors on that rolling workstation have the same mount pattern as the touchscreen. Would this be useful for us?

Looks very useful. I had cut an aluminum plate to mount them on, but haven’t even got the holes drilled yet.

Just a reminder…there’s a Kiosk Build Team meeting tomorrow (Sunday, January 27) at 3 PM. Whether you want to help with design, programming, or the physical cabinet build, there’s something for you to do. LaDeana is leading up the UI design effort, and Christian is heading the programming team. We’re still looking for someone to lead the team to make the cabinet modifications. If you’re that person, come see us tomorrow!

For those who aren’t aware, we’re taking an ATM that looks like this:

and adding our own bill acceptor, card reader, NFC reader, coin acceptor, check acceptor, and 15" touch screen to allow our members to do all kinds of things in real time.
You’ll be able to:

• Make membership, class enrollment, or merchandise payments
  • Make donations
  • Pay with cash, checks, or credit/debit cards
  • Order gift cards
  • Enroll in classes or workshops
  • Find volunteer opportunities
  • Record volunteer hours worked
    All from the kiosk! And your payments will be recorded in our system on the spot…no more waiting for the Treasurer to come and collect payments from the box and then manually enter them before you’re credited with your payment.

Sounds like fun, right? Come help us make it happen, while gaining valuable maker experience and skills, by joining the Kiosk Build Team. See you tomorrow!

2 Likes

The weirdo plug on the touchscreen monitor with power wires soldered to it has been replaced with a normal USB plug and a barrel jack. I ran the 12V line from the computer’s PSU to a matching jack so that we don’t need a separate power supply for the monitor.

I also started working on the UI a little bit. I don’t really know what I’m doing in that area, though.

1 Like

@Christian and @ladeana , pick a convenient time and we can sit down and discuss the UI. And I brought my spare monitor down.

I currently have the croup. So it would be better for you if I weren’t there physically… at least for the next couple of days (started last night)

No worries.

Don’t forget Kiosk Build Nite on Tuesday, April 16. And while we’re on the subject, I’m thinking of a small design change that might help us bolster our New Building Fund:

1 Like

I’ve added an LED backlit sign panel to the top of the kiosk. The front glows in any one of 16 colors, or it can slowly rotate through the rainbow. The face of the panel is white acrylic, with the idea being that we can cut vinyl to populate the sign. Here’s a -very- rough draft. If someone wants to take a crack at making it prettier, graphic-design-wise, feel free. Free space is 13.5 inches wide by 10 inches high. Go for it.

Oh, and NO COMIC SANS.

1 Like

If you want this or a version of it, I can make changes and/or send you an SVG or whatever file type the vinyl cutter requires, I can never remember.

1 Like

Christian and I were thinking about removing some of the text because it is so busy, but we definitely would like to change “Card” to “Coins”, as we’re going to leave card functionality on the website for now. Maybe reduce the text size to make more white space? Maybe change “Payment & Information” to “Payment & Info” ?

So, I don’t think it needs to say both cash and coins. I think cash + the picture is suitable for both. I also don’t think Center is necessary, so I nixed that, too.

1 Like

I’d say let’s run it like that. We’ll cut some vinyl and stick it on, then let the pleasant backlight complete the effect, drawing happy members from several feet around!

2 Likes

I finally made some time to get a circuit soldered together. The bill, coin, and check acceptors are all working. Most of the external components are mounted; @Mark.S was working on fixing up the coin acceptor when I left last night. We had to add an angled spacer to it because the coin return didn’t work when tilted backwards. We still need to securely mount the stuff inside of it and do some cable management. Then it’s mostly software after that.

6 Likes

You guys rock…thank you!

1 Like

Awesome

Super!