Idea of a "CookICT"

I know it I was going to learn a new technique I’d want to learn it in a residential style kitchen, because I have one of those at home.

We can start with a toaster oven and a tabletop cooktop.

Just make sure you label it “for food use do not hack” or it will end up on reflow oven duty lol!

3 Likes

A kitchenette area will probably need some dedicated volunteer time to make sure it stays good and clean, but if that’s the price to pay for meal cooking at the space, I’ll come clean up other people’s messes once or twice a week.

1 Like

People don’t clean up after themselves? I’ll help. :smile:

1 Like

You have enough people to start a committee, I’d say go for it.

Kansas Law Licenses Food Establishments: The last sentence of the definition seems appropriate: Any other eating or drinking establishment or operation where food is served or provided for the public with or without charge falls under the Food Establishment umbrella. Their definition of public is a key thing.

The Kansas Statute defining licensure as a Food Establishment is found under KSA 65-689

The Health Department will care about a small kitchen as well as a big one. Please read the above.

Aye, but it wouldn’t be served to the public. This would be treated as a personal / member based thing, in the same sense that the labor union kitchen can be used by members without running afoul of health code.

1 Like

One option for starting if you want to use a commercial kitchen is to contact Logan and use his. In any case, it looks like there are enough folks to start a project… so if you guys want to start a group I would be willing to help you get started… maybe one of you could pick a date and time for a meeting?

1 Like

Is the kitchen still intact at Booth or did they gut it?

It is not gutted. It needs to be called a break room because it is super expensive to keep up a commercial kitchen… so at this time, we can only use it as a break room.

Some super nice folks have been working their way through cleaning it out. There are a couple of cabinets left and the fridge if anyone has time, come by on Wednesday night to clean.

2 Likes

Thank You Ladeana for reminding everyone of the Building Mod work time. Wednesday from 5:30 - 7:30. Some work may start earlier with Security or Garage Sale and the building will be open. There is a list of items to be done, on your right as you enter and reach the center of both halls. Plenty of things, that require effort with no advanced skills.

1 Like

Do you rent the kitchen space? It’s the time of year for coolie baking and a commercial oven would bake a lot more at once then my kitchen oven. I’m going to donate cookies to Botanical Garden in the upcoming weeks.

1 Like

The breakroom only has a single residential oven. We have not received our certificate occupancy yet. The goal is to be moved by April 1st. Sry. You might check in with Logan. He has a very lovely commercial kitchen.