ICT Comic Con (9/11-9/12) & Great Plains Renaissance Festival (9/25-9/26) Volunteer and Event Planning Thread

September 18th Wichita Festival for the Art

September 19th Ecofest

At this time we will have information at my booth at both events. Sign up is still open if we do get volunteers to man a booth for MakeICT.

1 Like

Here’s what is on my community event radar right now that we have MakeICT or any of the makers involved with.

Sept 11th and 12th - ICT Comic Con @ Century II (10am-5pm)
Sept 18th - Wichita Festival for the Art @ Central Riverside Park (10am-3pm)
Sept 19th - Ecofest @ 7202 E 21st St N, Wichita, KS 67206 (Noon-5pm)
Sept 25th and 26th - Great Plains Renaissance Festival @ Sedgwick County Park (9am-6pm)
Oct 2nd - National Drive Electric Week ICT @ Town East (1pm-4pm)

Main Focus
Our big focus will be on the ICT Comic Con and the Renaissance Festival since the event organizer reached out to us and comp’ed booths for us at both events.

Additional Outreach Opportunities
If there are people that want to run a booth for the Art Festival and the Ecofest, please let me or Malissa know so that we can get a more formal approach going for those events.

National Drive Electric Week ICT apparently has taken an interest in my electric roadster and would like for me to be out there with the roadster. It seems kind of like an informal event, but it would definitely be cool if we can get the electric bike people out there to talk about there experiences.

Progress
ICT Comic Con (need 3 to 4 people both days)

*Aaron Rivers is working on some pixelated art that we can screen print on card stock at the booth
*I have all the parts in to make 100 up/down fading LED circuits but I still need to bag everything and come up with a simple set of instructions to go with the kits.
*We need someone to come up with a 4ft to 8ft wide sign that we can hang off the back of the booth and use at other events (I know we have a banner somewhere, but this would be a nice backup plan or stretch plan if we can make it really cool)

Renaissance Fair (need 5 or 6 people both days)

*We have a fairly decent plan going
*Aaron rivers to bring out his cool table project if weather cooperates
*Still need to work on some kind of heavy duty shade/rain cover for the inevitable rough fair weather (we could use the shade tents we have, but I have seen similar tents get destroyed over the years at fair)
*Main attraction will be a pair of opposing Marshmallow Seige Weapon Warfare tables (patrons would assemble kits and then launch marshmallows at each other)
**Ethan is working on some simple patterns to lasercut for the seige weapons, but we will need to come up with some hardboard to use
**We could use some help coming up with targets and ways to dress up the tables
**Stretch goal will be to build a full scale ballista

2 Likes

There is some hardboard under the sawstop in the woodshop.

1 Like

Thanks Roy!

Also, I talked with Davis that runs the website the Great Plains Renaissance Festival.

1. They’re willing to loan us a pretty cool 20 x 20 blue and white canopy for the Renaissance Festival, but we’ll have to come up with walls and the outer poles for it.

2. They really like the idea of the Marshmallow Seige Weapons and would like some photos to post on their website. Though, they did suggest that we fire the seige weapons all in one direction instead of at people given the precautions they are taking at fair.

3. They also wanted to make sure that we were aware that anyone manning the booth is not to have alcohol while on fair grounds. If one of the people running our booth did get drunk during fair and it became a problem, we would not be asked to come back…

3 Likes

I’m available for the Comicon booth on both days… I will be there for the Thursday meeting!

According to the site, the times are:
Saturday, September 11th, 2021: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday, September 12th, 2021: 10:00am – 5:00pm
However, there is early entry at 9:30am for VIP ticket holders.

We may want to adjust accordingly to:
Sat: 9:30am – 6:00pm
Sun: 9:30am – 5:00pm

2 Likes

Good thinking Brad,

I’m trying to keep track of who all has volunteered to help and who all said they would be at which event. If anyone reading this would like to help out, please let me know… especially with setting up the tent at the renaissance festival… that beast is going to take 4 or 5 of us to set it up and I’m sure there are a couple other groups that would greatly appreciate some extra muscle.

ICT Comic Con
Volunteers Needed 1 2 3 4
Setup Sept 10th (10am-8:30pm) Rustin A Katie C. Brad C. ?
Sept 11th (9:30-6pm) Rustin A Brad C. Dean D. LaDeana D.
Sept 12th (9:30am-5pm
+ tear down)
Rustin A. Brad C. Dean D. LaDeana D.
Wichita Festival for the Art
Volunteers Needed 1 2 3
Sept 18th (9:30am - 3pm
+ tear down)
Malissa L. ? ?
Ecofest (Rescheduled to May 1, 2022)
Volunteers Needed X X X
May 1, 2022 Malissa L. ? ?
Great Plain Renaissance Festival
Volunteers Needed 1 2 3 4 5 6 +
Setup Sept 24th (10am - 6pm) Rustin A. Brad C. Anna D. James L. Ethan D. ? +
Sept 25th (9:30am - 6pm) Rustin A. Ethan D. Sarah D. Aaron R. Brad C. Anna D. James L.
Sept 26th (9:30am - 6pm
+ tear down)
Rustin A. Ethan D. Sarah D. Brad C. Anna D. James L. +
National Drive Electric Week ICT
Volunteers Needed 1 2 3
Oct 2nd (12:30pm-4pm
+ tear down)
Rustin A ? ?
2 Likes

I’d like to help with the setup at the Comic Con. Do you know yet what time I need to be there by?

1 Like

EcoFest has been rescheduled for May 1st, 2022 due to the rising Covid numbers.

I want to volunteer for the Ren Faire booth as well, I’ll see if I can get off work to help on the 24th. I have also mentioned the Ren Faire to the magic club and a few members were interested in performing some close up magic, but I have not received anything affirmative as of yet.

3 Likes

I am still trying to figure that part out. I’m going to contact some friends who had booths there in the past and see when they did setup.

1 Like

Thank you, good to know.

Can edit your post put me down for all the days of Comic-Con and Renaissance?

You guys are rocking these signups!

I have updated the charts with all those who have requested to help out.

2 Likes

Updated to add James Lancaster to the Renaissance Fair.

Also, big thank you to Dean Day and Doug Wilson! Dean Day cranked out the stakes for the side walls for the tent and Doug Wilson has agreed to take on the creative lead of cranking out the sign for the ICT Comic Con and other future events!

2 Likes

Had some help from Scott tonight with cranking out the 4 stakes for the high wind lines.

So we now have everything together to make this tent stand upright, we just have the posts to crank out and the walls to sew up.

5 Likes

The post lists the hours for Festival days as us starting at 8:30a, however the event doesn’t begin until 10a. Should this be updated to 9:30a on 25th and 26th?

I will be up there at 8:30 setting up other stuff for the Renaissance Fair but yeah, I’m doubtful it will take us more than 30minutes to setup, baring faire weather…

Also, just got the brochures from Spirit and some Masonite for the lasers.

1 Like

Rustin, I just got the 24th off of work, so please feel free to sign me up for set up for the ren fair!

3 Likes

Well, making some progress on the stuff for the Renaissance faire, but now we’re a week put from the ICT Comic Con.

It sounds like we’ll at least have a lot of items for a show and tell as well as brochures. I haven’t pulled out the vinyl MakeICT sign yet, but I’ll see if I can dig that out tomorrow and make sure it’s still in good shape.

I managed to cut the poles for the tent tonight but the corners still need to be routed, and then sanded, stained and sealed.

2 Likes

Haven’t found the vinyl sign yet, but does anyone know where the power supply for the other sign is?

2 Likes