Hydroponics

With spring fast approaching and the itch to start planting we thought we would try our hand at hydroponics again.
I picked up some master blend and I got some pool noodles cut. I ordered 1000 pak choi seeds I am growing in a rain gutter downspout hopefully it takes off below are some pictures of the pool noodles I cut to hold microgreens.

Will post more as I continue

1 Like

Micro Green Setup

This is the system i used from internet to grow microgreen starts

Cut two slots in Rubbermaid shoe box

Drape a folded paper towel
fill container with water

Cut a square from an 18 count egg carton to fit on top of wick/paper towel
Add seeds and mist

Finally cover with another lid till germinate.

This method the microgreens are easily removed from grow medium

2 Likes

okay… if you have some baby pak choi, I’ll have to do some trading with you…

1 Like

Sounds good just got more seeds in yesterday

1 Like

I got some seed plugs coming in in a few days I need to
Silicone the end caps on, and mix master blend and I’ll be ready to start my garden plugs

1 Like

Pak choi sprouted 2 days later

2 Likes

I’ve got one in my mudroom. I need to set it up. It was a fail last year because the cats decided it was a toy. I need to figure out where it goes, because my usual spot is full of seedlings, random projects, and in a week, an incubator.

I have my microgreens in a regular plastic planter, and they’re loving it. I’ve got tulle over it to keep the kittens out.

This is the first time I used the microgreen method I posted above so far I’m loving it it is self watering and does not require any maintenance after initial build so far!
The water is wicked in just the right amount. I think I spent $1.50 on container which I used because the invention on top helps retain initial watering.

Here is a great video on hydroponics

** WAIT!**
What were the foam pool noodles for?
If you did not watch the video here is a recap.

Make a pacman then put cut piece in center trim till there is a small gap or two left

My pac choi microgreens are ready 4 days old.

Place about 3 in previously mentioned gap

Place in 2 inch hole where most of the root touches water leave some space for air roots

1 Like

Been a few days since i updated

these are my salad greens on left and daikon radish greens on right

Roma tomatos in back 2 units and pak choi in front

8 Likes

My 2nd batch of micro greens are ready for harvest! I got 2 sets of 2 containers growing a 5 seed salad green mix, and one Diakon radish mix. The radish will absolutely make the salad pop with a mild radish flavor. We are adding in lettuces from carols aero gardens. The flavors are amazing.

Above This was my harvest from 2 mats it grew for 2 weeks

4 Likes

Outdoor 32 hole setup halfway point

2 Likes