HVAC savvy?

The Woodshop needs some pretty basic repairs to the AC (re-piping the drainage). Anyone interested in fixing the problem can earn their Hazardous Material Authorization by taking on this job. MakeICT would cover costs for parts, of course.

I have a bunch of 3/4 inch PVC fittings used for that purpose if you need some. Not sure if I have time to fix it, but I can provide the parts.

You can dump the trash can, and check to see if it is dripping again. I blew air back up the drain pipe in ceramics that was slowly draining. That dislodged a large amount of lint and crap, and a flood of water and crap came out, so I assume it is better now, but I had other things to do at the space, and it was still draining.

The next step is to clean the coils and pan and flush it with clean water to remove any remaining contaminates.

Tom Bloom

When I left it was no longer dripping from either of the drains. It definitely should be cleaned, though. Maybe we can do that on Wednesday during the hazardous materials class?

I know we talked earlier and it’s fine now but if something else happens then I’m certified 608 U. I don’t know if Kansas has any further licencing requirements to work with refrigerants but I can definitely help with everything else.

Hey Josh, are you still willing to take a look at the HVAC unit in the woodshop? It came to my attention yesterday that it is currently not cooling properly.

Sure thing! Sent a PM for discussing details.

Was this issue resolved? if so what was the problem?

The last I heard, Josh did get a good look at the unit above the Wood Shop ceiling. It needs a thorough cleaning. He does not have gage set to check refrigerant levels. So, the recommendation was to pay someone to do a professional cleaning and inspection.

I, personally, wonder if there is any way we could deflect or screen some of the combination of roof debris, metal dust, wood dust, (and pink powder coating), so that the dust layer takes longer to accumulate. I also wonder if the filter that is in the return at the ceiling is being leaked around.

Mike B

I had assumed the unit for the wood shop was a 2 piece unit with the a-coil/air handler above the wood shop with a compressor on the roof or out back. Is it a single unit that vents to the metal shop?

If it is a split unit the part above the wood shop is an enclosed unit. Any additional filtration to filter crap would be from the from the wood shop air return, so metal dust and powder coating would not be a worry.

If it is a single unit above the wood shop inside the building (Yuck). Lets make the ceiling over the entire space hotter so the wood shop is cool.