How do they make this

A few years ago, I was going to redo the sun visors in my car. I had recently replaced the headliner and the visors looked pretty bad compared to it. Kinda forgot about that over the years and the car is long gone. But riding in my girlfriend’s car, I pulled down the visor to look at something on my face a was reminded of that project.

So, I never figured out, how do they make sun visors? They are sewn all the way around with the seam hidden. It’s got a hard structure, so it’s not like it can be sewn 95% then flipped inside out.

2 Likes

My F-150’s isn’t sewn. I’m pretty confident it’s two pieces of plastic covered with fabric using adhesive like headliners are, then folded together and connected with more adhesive. I can stick my fingernail well into the “seam” and there are no stitches. The next time I bust the attachment I’ll let you deconstruct it.

2 Likes

My Subaru one is coming apart but I can’t figure out how to remove it so I can resew it. It is sewn. I haven’t messed with it much yet to try either. When I do fix it I can post a how it’s made. Really good hand sewers can make their hand sewing stitches look like machine stitches.

1 Like

This one has an extension on one end so I suppose if he fabric can stretch enough it could be pulled over then the extension would cover the edges. My Mazda didn’t have that. Folded like Sherry suggested might be the answer. I’ve never taken one apart to see.

1 Like

Could it be sewn inside out and then turned right-side out thru the hole for the mirror?

1 Like

Visors that have openings, probably. Those aren’t the ones I’m thinking of though.

1 Like

Looks like it might be able to have an opening on the right where the rotational attachment goes through. The material looks flexible enough that they might have sewn it wrong side out and flipped it through that hole.

1 Like