HELP NEEDED MONDAY 5/16/22 8:30pm

The woodshop needs some work and I am unavailable to do it today.
I will be teaching Woodshop Authorization tomorrow from 6-8:30 and then start in on the needed maintenance and cleaning at 8:30. I fully expect to be there until 1 or 2 am.

What is awry:

• Dust collection is not keeping up.
  • Jointer and Planer are habitually clogging.
  • Other Maintenance and installations have been waiting in the wings as I’ve been otherwise occupied

What is the cause: The ducting system is too much for the collector and the filter is probably heavily clogged.

What I’ll be doing:

• Deep Cleaning Dust Collector Filter
  • Deep Cleaning Jointer and Thickness Planer
  • Terminating ducts to floor sweep, bandsaws, and miter saw.
  • Possibly commandeer a few shop vacs to make up the difference
  • Installing a First Aid Box with incident reporting forms and dropbox
  • Putting up new Hazardous Materials Notice and Logs on the door
  • Making a mount to store the Metal Detector and (new) Wood Moisture Meter
  • Replacing the 12" grinding disc
  • Hiding the amputated ducting and the ugly box of dust hose in the soffit
  • Moving various woodshop materials and goods into the shops from the hallway, Room 4, and outside the west doors.

Problems / Justifications with this course of action:

• Lose flor sweep / it’s a novelty fixture anyway
  • Lose Dust collection to Miter and Band-saws / Dust collection at saw sucked at best anyway fitting shopvacs can provide better collection for these specific tools

It’s a tough call. But, the bottom line is that the jointer and planer NEED exemplary high volume collection to function well and deliver the results we should expect from them, and they’re not getting it.

If you come help and don’t have Hazmat Authorization, you will after this (and listening to the spiel)

Thank you, and expect lots more requests like this one. There’s LOTS to do!

6 Likes

I’ll plan to be there to help.

1 Like

Not sure the point of eliminating the floor sweep. If it’s allowing air past the door, add some weatherstripping to the door. Otherwise, if it’s closed it does not contribute to a loss of airflow or head for the other branches. Adding a gate for the table saw would do more but would require people to open it when in use

I can help for a couple of hours, probably won’t get there until 9 though.

1 Like

I highly suspect that the biggest problem is just the filter. And FORGETTING to open the blast gates on the planer and jointer have always been the biggest culprit for clogged tools. It only takes one person running one board without suction to clog those things, after all. I’d start with a filter clean and the occasional instruction for how to clean obstructions from the planer and jointer.

2 Likes

Ill be by to help

1 Like

Came through on most of my threats.
Lots of leaks at the new joints, but made it down thismorning and patched the worst… thrn ran out of tape.
The Bandsaws and mitersaw will soon have new DC.
See you soon!

3 Likes

I think I have a roll of aluminum tape for sealing ductwork if you need it.

1 Like

I wonder if it would be helpful to make a small sign near the “on” button with a reminder to open the blast gate.

@ladeana
One would hope! The sign existed though. At the moment there are no blast gates and flow appears sufficient for ghe few tools connected.

Certainly there were times when the DC just wasn’t turned on at all. @james.a.seymour Thing we could wire the jointer and planer so that they lacked power if the DC wasn’t on? An imperfect solution as someone turning off thr DC could negatively affect someone’s work, but an idea nonetheless

1 Like

It’s entirely doable to make the logic that planer or jointer can’t be started ig dust collection is off. So, in other words once running the planer or jointer would continue running even if DC shut off.

Mike

Sounds like you have that backward. Once the planer or jointer are shut off, dust collection should continue.

There hasn’t been any suggestion that I’m aware of that the planer or jointer should have any control over the dust collection system.

What was suggested was that there be a one way interlock such that dust collection off cuts power to planer and to joiner. The obvious objection being made that someone else shutting off dust collection would kill power to the planer or jointer while it’s being used.

I simply added that it’s trivially simple to have an interlock (by self latching relay) that once allowing power to the start switch of the equipment latches on until the off switch is engaged or input power is removed.

In no way does this control whether the dust collection system continues to run, it remains controlled the way it is now.

2 Likes