Griffin Grip for the studio

Hey all…

2 Likes

For the noobs out there what is the griffin grip and how much does it cost?

1 Like

It is a device that goes on the wheel to help trim. It’s and auto-center triming tool.

1 Like

Today I learned something
I thought it was something else

···

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022, 07:21 Scott Sullivan via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| ScottS Ceramics Area Lead
October 6 |

• | - |

It is a device that goes on the wheel to help trim. It’s and auto-center triming tool.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

peter_2008_v2F_hires1-56a00f083df78cafda9fdcb6.webp

1 Like

The local ceramics shop Evans currently has the “regular size” (not the mini) listed for $209

1 Like

I absolutely love the idea of getting one for the studio, and I also think we should invest in getting the PDF file for one, so we can 3D print more if we desired :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was just going to say that a motivated maker might be able to find/create a STL file(s) and print one…
wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean… :wink:

1 Like

Too bad you can’t have multiple topic categories.

If someone has a bat pattern or measurements for the bat pins on the wheels?

What is the diameter of our wheels?

It is an interesting spiral locking mechanism.

The rest i could make guesses.

What would be the min max piece sizes you would want to put on a large one and a mini.

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t look too terribly complicated. Pretty similar to a lathe chuck but bigger and multi-start instead of a single thread. I think the wheel heads are 12".

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a machine that had a computer to control it’s motion that could mill or rout that scroll plate?

3 Likes

This subject has been brought up before, there is a program to make a griiffin grip on a 3D printer for sale online for around 100 bucks. Also the round lines on the potter wheels before you put the bats on, are there to help you center your pieces to trim. That’s how I learned at WSU.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Donation Collection Processes

I’ll see ya when I see ya Gaye, and when I do, I’ll pitch in towards the Ceramic’s griffin grip

1 Like

I messaged you. I wanted to let you know where I put my portion of the Griffin grip Money. I don’t always carry cash and I HATE cash apps. I don’t know if this is a “DONATION” issue or a matter of people pitching in to buy a tool that we’ve wanted and asked for for a long time. I’m glad we finally have one after for ceramics. Glad I was able to contribute to the Ceramics Department as always.

1 Like