Glass Area

I think I heard several people interested in a Glass Area. (Stained glass, slumping, lampwork, neon etc.)
So I think we should all get together and form a committee.

I am going to start putting a meeting together to get this committee started. If someone really loves this stuff, I am happy to let them lead. :slight_smile:

Lets pick a good evening to meet.

I will put a meeting on the calendar about two weeks out and we will get started. (If we get delayed, it will be on zoom.)

5 Likes

Thank you for thinking of this. I would like to do lampwork. It’s been awhile… At one time, 10++ years ago there were always several lampworking courses going on at the Art Association (now Mark Arts) and City Arts. I’d say there’s conservatively over 1000 people in Wichita that took classes.
We will need a well ventilated room. Might as well consider real silversmithing if we’re going to have tanks for torches.
I would be glad to participate in a zoom meeting. I’m probably not up for a physical mtg if it’s anytime soon. **This is not an offer to lead a committee.
There are lots of instructors around that might have an interest. I could do a Facebook inquiry and make calls. See if I could round up a few.

4 Likes

I know i am new to the community, but would like to offer my insights wherever possible.
I have been lampworking for the last 6 years, and know building codes, fireproofing, and hvac for a glass shop of any size, and have collected a few torches over the years i could let go as learning torches.
I am also interested in leading this project and have a great background and references!
Would love to be a part of any meeting, and would like to get to know everyone!

7 Likes

Cool!.. You are on my list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d like to see a glass area also, I do stained glass; I am new to the art but people seem to like my work so far.

2 Likes

Getting ready to start school and do not want to commit to anything but I might be able to help out with stained glass basics every now and then wife and I have both worked stained glass

3 Likes

I would love to take some classes…

1 Like

This sounds fun. I’ve been wanting to take some those City Arts glass classes with my teen so I would be down.

1 Like

PLEASE

do not use the electronics soldering irons for glass.

4 Likes

awww…why not @james.a.seymour … you’re being a party pooper…lol. If we were to setup glass classes in the future or offer any kind of space for glass work wed have to look into getting specific irons and the right solder of course.

3 Likes

60/40 or 50/50?

Does James have a stash of 80W irons? Cool!

1 Like

I would love to take stained glass classes

1 Like

I am going to look in my storage and check the condition of my kiln and willing donate to the space to be used for glass work

2 Likes

That would be awesome

1 Like

Looks like I fell down on the job of getting a meeting together. Sigh… so I have made one for this Friday. It will be on Google Meet from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm. I am struggling to find a way to get you the meeting notice, so if you would pm your email, that would help :slight_smile:

Do we have enough people interested to put together a committee?

I rescued quite a bit of stuff recently to put together a small passable stained glass studio. Got a grinder, a couple kilns, glass, various other tools.

1 Like

We just need 5 and I think we have enough… there are many folks who have mentioned glass over the years… and not all of them read the forum.

2 Likes

I know Frank and his wife have stained glass experience, They are both super nice and expressed interest in this subject in the past. You could ask them if they are interested and maybe they can let you know what if any equipment they have

1 Like

As does Cathy!

1 Like

Lol my wife started asking more about the space when I mentioned stained glass and beads…

Maybe I’ll accidentally add classes to her and I’s shared calendar.

2 Likes