Gauging Interest: RC Flight

I hope to make it there. I’ve been really busy lately and I’m hoping everything starts to wind down soon. I think this sounds like a lot of fun!

1 Like

Are you meeting today? or sometime in Sept?

Sometime in September. Aiming for roughly two weeks out from tomorrow, so the 12th if everything goes as planned.

1 Like

Let @Events know so we can get you on the calendar and a room reserved. If you want to limit attendance or charge a fee please fill out this form MakeICT | Teach a Class

The NE Sedgwick County Park is essentially undeveloped. The county is looking for a development plan. The Parks Dept requested a bunch of money to hire a planning consultant. That was cut from the adopted budget. It would make a great space, if some of those 600 acres were designated for RC. 73rd North and 127th E.

1 Like

For now this is just a ‘For Fun’ event, and here in the next week I’ll have a clearer picture of when I can come in. I’ll definitely poke events staff at that point.

If there is enough people that want to do some sort of class where at the end you have your very own aircraft to take home Ready To Fly I might work on something, but it’ll have a pretty high cost just from a parts standpoint.

Any drone ‘class’ I do will be free and always for fun since I am operating under the recreational drone license. I may start building micro drones and if it’s cheap enough may offer a class on that. Could also add RC (insert vehicle) if there is other interest since most components stay the same.

2 Likes

Whoops (layman terms mini drones) are a lot more fun for me! The weight to gravity ratio means I break less parts. They have come a long way in stability.
And replacement parts are cheaper.
I like tiny hawk 2 but I have flown many others I like too!

1 Like

I could see getting a couple of those guys and having races through the hallways of MakeICT for fun. Especially the FPV ones, those look like they would be a blast just for the change of perspective.

Chapin Airfield

2 Likes

Ictfpv is a drone racing group I’m with.
They are always looking for racing venues to fly at. And have asked me in the past if we could set up races there. At the time it was not feasible. Maybe we can coordinate with them in the future idk just a thought

2 Likes

also a good place to eagle watch in the winter

1 Like

Not sure about race worthy but the parrot bebop 2 camera has no gimbal. Instead its a wide angle lens with software stabilization. It comes with a head mount display too. I think the display is actually your phone mounted inside. Can’t remember off the top of my head. Sounded really cool when I saw it a few years ago.

Are you going to be at Chapin on Sunday (9/12), and if so, what time? I will plan to be there, too!

Unfortunately all my plans are having to be push back a week. I am now planning, barring any acts of god, to have all my building materials and examples/drones at MakeICT on the 19th. My apologies to everybody for the slow responses but I have been having to deal with a bit of a slow moving micro-disaster and didn’t really know which side of anything I would end up on until late last night.

1 Like

Thank you for the update! This is all still way cool. Thanks again.

Alright, I have gotten my ducks in a row for clearance to fly my Mavic Mini around MakeICT airspace this weekend. I plan on being up at MakeICT Sunday at 1:30p and will have enough stuff for people to mess around with scratch building with RediBoard, seeing a big foamy with all the equipment on board, and even be able to do at least three 20min sessions of hands on flight time with a drone.

@Events Sorry for the short notice but would it be possible to have one of the classrooms for this? Any room with a large bit of tablespace would be great.

2 Likes

It looks like Sunday is free for all the classrooms. I will make an event for classroom 3 since it is large and has some AC. How many hours? (I will put you down for 1 hour for now… tell me if you need more.)

1 Like

Make it 2 just in case. Not expecting a huge turnout but never hurts to pad a bit. For fun.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for coming out. Based on everything we’ll make this little gathering a regular thing. The plan for next meeting will be to produce a flying (or at least flight ready) FT Mini Scout. Big plan in between then and now is to get the foam cutting rig in Fab Lab ready to produce models.

@Events Could you please set us up on the calendar for another meeting on Oct. 17 from 1p to 4p?

1 Like

This sounds cool. Just post the next event!

Sorry. Had to be a the EAA Fly-In at Jabara all day yesterday. We cleaned up most of today.

1 Like