Forum user name vs real name display

Is there any way to configure the forum to display people’s real names instead of arbitrary user names? I have NO idea who I’m even talking to.

3 Likes

I feel you. Many times when I meet people in person they say I’ve been chatting with you in the forum I’m so -n-so.

1 Like

I don’t know the technical answer to your question, regarding configuring discourse, maybe @Christian can come in on that.
In the meantime, if you click/tap on someone’s username or does display their actual name.

1 Like

only if they entered it

1 Like

Yes, but like Ian mentioned, if you are logged in you can click on a users name or picture to view the name they entered. The settings could be changed to display the name on posts in addition to username if that was generally desirable.

Yeah, we can only display names if they have been entered. Not much we can do about that, regardless of site settings. The ‘Full Name’ field is required, but obviously we can’t force people to actually put in their real names and not a fake one or just random nonsense.

3 Likes

Thank you, @iancaz, @Malissa and @Christian!

2 Likes

I’ll answer to Squarenuts IRL quicker than to my given name… Just sayin’

I also think that having your picture as your profile picture helps people recognize you IRL and facilitates face to face interactions.

1 Like

I’ll be MORE than happy to refer to you as Square Nuts when I see you IRL… I just hope it’s written on your name badge so I know it’s you!

1 Like

Says the guy without his picture as his profile picture… :wink:

6 Likes

And avoids people…

2 Likes

I agree. It would be nice to see real names. Things could get confusing. Right @squarenuts! From squarenail! :wink:

4 Likes

…and THEN, when you meet them in person, they’re masked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait till I bring the rest of my costume…

2 Likes