Fix for running toilet

The toilet in the little bathroom was running this afternoon when I stopped by. I think I know why the cable is not returning like it should. Just beyond the strain relief is a break in the jacket. I think if somebody were to 3D print a part to straddle both the existing strain relief as well as a little bit of the jacket, this would prevent it binding. It might be best to print it as a clamshell arrangement, held in place either by screws or zip ties.

Here you can see the break in the jacket.

2 Likes

I printed a part to hopefully extend the life of the flusher.

1 Like

I’ll just call it a valiant effort. Walking the building before locking up just now and I hear water running. Sure enough, the toilet has been running since it was last used. I think it’s time to replace the flusher.

2 Likes

Is the box that the handle attaches to seated firmly against the tank wall or is it flopping around?

Nope, it keeps rotating around. Seems to me that puts tension on the cable and prevents it from filling.

I agree. I was in there a week or so ago and it was running. Tightening the plastic nut that secures the flush handle box in the horizontal position fixed it then, but looks like no longer.

What does that valve do differently that requires such a complicated system?

It is a two-way flush. Lift the handle for a no. 1 or push down for a no. 2, or the other way around. When we first took possession of the building, it had a note on the lid that showed this but it is gone now.

I’ve tightened the nut several times but I think it actually makes it worse because it forces the cable to come out at a particular angle. I’m not sure why it keeps loosening other than it’s difficult to really get it tight since the nut is between the little box and the tank.

My recommendation is a silicon or otherwise grippy washer to stop the nut from working loose. From that point, it’s a matter of making sure the box is latched onto the post. There’s a catch that holds it in place / allows it to be removed that can also slip loose if someone jams down on the handle like King Kong.

I’ll be in tomorrow for ceramics night and will check on a washer if someone else doesn’t do it and put another sign on the toilet about the up and down #1 / #2 operation and check that it is still properly calibrated.

If making a sign, make one that says not to leave until it has stopped running and make the sign impossible to miss!

Also, can we put a handle on it like this? :rofl:

3 Likes

Also before making the sign, check to see which move of the handle runs the most water and which way runs the least. My example of the #1 and #2 was just an example, I don’t remember which way was which.

Thanks for the addition of the sleeve. That two way flush system has always been a pain. It’s a poor design to begin with.

1 Like

It was working when I left. Sign on the wall, label on the handle, label on the lid.

I need a bigger washer than the hose washer I found, since the hole in the toilet for the handle is quite large. I’ll look around for something better.

We’ll see how long it works this time.

2 Likes