Field Day Needed

I stopped by to do a little welding this morning. The metal shop looks like a disaster.

Issues:

• Partial projects laying around? Paint, scraps, trash on work tables
  • Both band saws are down
  • Found MIG gun on ground, welder was left on, so it came on when plugged in.
  • Tip was grungy, nozzle was nearly plugged with spatter.
  • Tools laying around
  • Metal shaving and grinding dust covered floor and weld table.
  • Combustibles on weld table

After cleaning up my mess, I swept up quite a bit, but didn’t have time to clean up the whole area.

PLEASE clean and sweep when you’re done, it sucks to have to spend extra time cleaning someone else’s mess just to be able to start a project.

1 Like

The fire truck build was responsible for the stuff in the middle of the shop on the table. It will be cleaned off today, and we want to be able to avoid cluttering up the shops in the future. In the meantime, I’d like to thank everyone in the metal shop, wood shop, ERP lab, and gallery for all of your patience – especially from our leads. The fire truck was a big project, and we’re learning as we go. Clutter is a lesson that we’re taking seriously.

1 Like

I plan on spending a few evenings this week cleaning up the metal shop .
It has been pointless to try to clean up as every Sunday the firetruck parts would return and decimate any cleaning efforts.

As far as the band saws being down. when you find equipment down please notify metalshop@makeict.org
Both saws were functional when I did the safety class on Saturday so I had no clue anything was wrong with them.I will make efforts to get down tonight or tomorrow and figure out the band saws.

Assistant Lead John is working on signage to alert people of safety concerns and cleaning necessity.

I will be monitoring for people not cleaning up after themselves regularly and if it does not improve after the signage is up and the fire truck has been cleaned up after we will look into more strict rule within the shop about cleaning responsibility.

I do not mind tidying up the metal shop while I am there for classes or Maker Mondays but neither myself or my assistants are cleaning staff and we will not spend all of our time cleaning up after people…

If someone requires other people to clean up their messes we can invite them to stop using the metal shop.

1 Like

I went by last night and cleared out all of the Fire Truck clutter from the metal shop, put all the tools away, and swept the floor. I also moved the small oven we use for casting from the bandsaw table to the cabinet near the garage door and sandblaster. I’ll be back over tomorrow to get those completely out of the shop for you, but for the moment that stuff should be out of your way. Thanks again for your patience…

Tomorrow’s project – clean up the front of the building!

The next question is for everyone: Where shall we store the extra foam sheets? Is there any reason we can’t put them above the wood shop until the next build?