(eventual) DIY Bookbinding Press

Right!? That’s what I was thinking too. I’ve been trying to get one made for a while, but life happened…perhaps soon with some help.

1 Like

That is very similar to a Moxon wood working vise. Cam make one for about 30$

Lots of neat book binding equipment in use here

https://blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/tag/sewing-frame/

1 Like

For anyone interested, @Typerover (Glenn) and I will be working to finish cleaning out the press today (Sunday) starting between 1 and 2 pm. If you’d like to get your hands dirty along with us, feel free to come on down. We’ve spent hours and hours pulling die-cut paper circles out of the inner workings of the press, and we’re still not done. There was a LOT in there.

Our longer-term goal is to get the press cleaned, adjusted, repaired (if needed), and moved to its permanent spot. We’ll know we’ve done our jobs properly when we are able to turn the press up to full speed, then balance a nickel on edge on the top edge of the press. At that point, we’ll be ready for classes!
I just love seeing these presses run!

3 Likes

@jcarpenter81 If either of you could make that for $100 I’d be thrilled.

1 Like

I think I donated moxon vise to Makeict. I will have to check to see if it is still there after the move to new location.

It would have to be in the range of 180. I have attached 2 jpegs of similar vises.

Does that require a wrench to tighten?

Yes , but you could make a wrench out of plywood or weld some wings/arms to the nuts.

I suppose it’s worth it to buy “the real deal” to get the nice handles and sloped shape on the sides. Thanks!