Wood Lathe Safety Authorization Class Time:
Mar 30 05:30 PM - 08:00 PMHost:
John NicholasRegister: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5215466Price:
MakeICT Members - $0.00Price:
Non-Members - $20.00Ages
: 16 to 106Required Authorizations:
Plan on about 2.5 hours for the Lathe Safety Authorization Class. Much of the information will be covered quickly, with handouts available. Key pieces of safety will be hands on with examples to hold and examine, and an opportunity for you to use the tools on a workpiece to make some of the things we discuss.
This class wiil be in the 2nd Room of the wood shop.
Safety issues will include:
- Basic Lathe Checks before turning it on.
- PPE for Turning and safe clothing around spinning wood or other material
- An introduction to safe tool usage for Carbide Tools and Traditional Tools with basic information on sharpening.
- Introduction to Mounting Methods for safely attaching the workpiece to the Lathe.
- Wood Selection, considering safety and where the wood is from. We will address the MakeICT Hazardous Material Policy and the
implications for woodturning. This would include working with damaged wood, such as spalting, bark inclusions and worm holes.
Additional PPE considerations and products to address various damaged wood issues.
- We will touch on safety while sanding on the lathe.
- We will touch on safety and choices of finishing products for turned items.
A Test Out Form of this Authorization Class is available.
Class size will vary based on the number of experienced SKW Members available to assist.
Woodshop Safety Authorization is Required
Woodshop Hazardous Materials Authorization is highly recommended.