Event Updates for March 2023

3D Printing Basics

Time: Mar 26 03:00 PM - 05:00 PM
Host: Christian Kindel
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5189679
Price: MakeICT Members - $20.00
Price: Non-Members - $25.00
Ages: 12 and up

Learn the basics of 3D printing and how to use the printers at MakeICT!

We'll cover how 3D printing works, materials used in 3D printing, importing 3D files into slicer software, and important techniques for successful printing. Each participant will get a chance to practice with the software and print a small object to take home. Sample models will be provided, but participants may also bring in an STL file of a small (~3cm3) object to try out.

Completion of this class will grant authorization for using the 3D printers at MakeICT.

Ceramics : BasicWheel Throwing And Trimming Part 2 of 2

Time: Mar 18 11:00 AM - 01:00 PM
Host: Scott Sullivan
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5193955
Ages: 16 and up

This class is part two of a two part class. Part one is on the immediately preceding Wednesday. Attendance at both sessions is necessary. Registration links can be found in part one.

My name is Scott Sullivan. I am a former co lead of the Ceramics Studio and long-time member. I have been throwing pottery on and off since 1986. I studied ceramics initially in Japan.

The first part will go over the basics of throwing a simple pot on the electric pottery wheel. This will include how to set up, tear down, and clean the wheel, as well as an introduction to the basic tools used in pottery throwing.

The second part will be basic instruction on trimming the pot(s) that were thrown in the first part on Wednesday. This will include basic instruction on using the wheel and trimming tools to clean your pot and put a foot on it.

After you have completed both parts of this class, you will have a piece that will be ready to be bisque fired. After that, you’ll need to come back and glaze your piece so it can be bisque fired. You can do that on your own, or on a Maker Monday or Ceramics Tuesday when there will be folks in the studio who can give you pointers. Glazing is out of scope for this class.

You do not need to bring any materials or tools. Everything will be provided.

You will be working with wet clay and you will get dirty. Please dress appropriately.

Know Your Sewing Machine (Quick Version)

Time: Mar 13 04:00 PM - 07:00 PM
Host: Malissa Long
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5195604
Price: MakeICT Members - $40.00
Price: Non-Members - $45.00
Ages: 8 to 101

Learn the parts of your sewing machine along with knowledge about bobbins, needles, about decorative stitches, and a little sewing machine history. No previous machine knowledge required. Use one of the classroom machines or bring your own. You will need tools to take out your needle, extra bobbins, and thread.

Learn to sew

Time: Mar 14 03:00 PM - 06:00 PM
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5195605
Price: MakeICT Members - $30.00
Price: Non-Members - $35.00

In Learn to Sew students will review the parts of the sewing machine. Students will practice sewing straight lines, curved lines, a how to pivot on corners. Students will make a zipper pouch from precut materials. All materials provided. Some sewing machine knowledge required.

Ceramics : BasicWheel Throwing And Trimming Part 1 of 2

Time: Mar 15 07:00 PM - 09:00 PM
Host: Scott Sullivan
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5193947
Price: MakeICT Members - $30.00
Price: Non-Members - $35.00

My name is Scott Sullivan. I am a former co-lead of the Ceramics Studio and long-time member. I have been throwing pottery on and off since 1986. I studied ceramics initially in Japan.

This class is a two part class that will be held on a Wednesday and the immediate following Saturday morning. Attendance at both sessions is necessary.

The first part will go over the basics of throwing a simple pot on the electric pottery wheel. This will include how to set up, tear down, and clean the wheel, as well as an introduction to the basic tools used in pottery throwing.

The second part will be basic instruction on trimming the pot(s) that were thrown in the first part on Wednesday. This will include basic instruction on using the wheel and trimming tools to clean your pot and put a foot on it.
After you have completed both parts of this class, you will have a piece that will be ready to be bisque fired. After that, you’ll need to come back and glaze your piece so it can be bisque fired. You can do that on your own, or on a Maker Monday or Ceramics Tuesday when there will be folks in the studio who can give you pointers. Glazing is out of scope for this class.

You do not need to bring any materials or tools. Everything will be provided.

You will be working with wet clay and you will get dirty. Please dress appropriately.

How to teach a class at MakeICT

Time: Mar 07 07:00 PM - 08:30 PM
Host: LaDeana Dockery
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5195990
Price: MakeICT Members - $0.00
Price: Non-Members - $0.00

Class for people wanting to teach a class at MakeICT. We learn how to propose a class, how to check in students, how to use the projector and answer any other questions you might have!

Woodshop Authorization

Time: Mar 09 06:30 PM - 09:30 PM
Host: Jesse Schlenker
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5198138
Price: Non-Members - $20.00

Learn the basics to safely operate the major woodshop tools in this safety class including understanding the limitations of each tool, the forces created when using the tool and how to maintain safe control for improved performance. Tools covered: SawStop table saw, drill press, band saw, router table, jointer, planer, miter saw, oscillating spindle and belt / disk sanders and scroll saw. Expect at least two hours of walkthrough with our tools and equipment, followed by an OPTIONAL hour of hands on practice with the tools aimed at those who have little or no practice with woodworking tools

Prerequisites: Please read the woodshop tool access policy and safety requirements on the wiki page prior to coming to class. Safety Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): • Mandatory: Closed-toed shoes, eye protection, short sleeves • Advisable: Hearing protection

Upon completion of the safety demonstration you can use this woodshop equipment for your projects whenever you work at MakeICT as a member!

Paper Roller Coasters

Time: Mar 13 03:30 PM - 05:30 PM
Host: Andrew Hogan
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5206941
Price: MakeICT Members - $5.00
Price: Non-Members - $10.00

This is the first in a series of classes for “Hogan’s Science Shop.”
The class for this date is for individuals, pairs, or families of any age to build a paper roller coaster. Students will learn the basics of the engineering design process to design and build their own paper roller coaster! Supplies will be provided, but participants may bring their own scissors, glue and paper if they choose to do so. Designing and building together can be a lifelong memory for may young people and participants are encouraged to come in pairs or groups, not only to make the process go more quickly, but to facilitate family bonding.
I am a science teacher and I love what I do! STEM is a big part of my life in and out of the classroom and MakeICT has been an excellent resource for my own creative endeavors as well as for my students. My classes are an opportunity to connect with my community and build stronger connections through the application and FUN that STEM can bring to local families.
There is no prior knowledge needed, just a willingness to investigate the world around us.
I am welcoming of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, or sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity). I will modify any of the labs or projects as needed an participants may even contact me in advance if they have any special needs that they feel I should accommodate for.
I’ve worked with children as young as 4 years old on similar projects all the way through high school age, but individual participants need to be at least 12 years or older. All younger participants must have a responsible adult to help them along.
1 Like

Laser Cut a Desktop Catapult

Time: Mar 14 03:30 PM - 05:30 PM
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5206965

This is the second class in a series of classes for “Hogan’s Science Shop.”
The class for this date is for individuals, pairs, or families of any age to build a laser cut desktop catapult. Students will learn the basics of designing for the laser cuter and the basic principles of Newton’s Laws.
Supplies will be provided.
Designing and building together can be a lifelong memory for many young people and participants are encouraged to come in pairs or groups, not only to make the process go more quickly, but to facilitate family bonding.
I am a science teacher and I love what I do! STEM is a big part of my life in and out of the classroom and MakeICT has been an excellent resource for my own creative endeavors as well as for my students. My classes are an opportunity to connect with my community and build stronger connections through the application and FUN that STEM can bring to local families.
There is no prior knowledge needed, just a willingness to investigate the world around us.
I am welcoming of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, or sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity). I will modify any of the labs or projects as needed and participants may even contact me in advance if they have any special needs that they feel I should accommodate for.
I’ve worked with children as young as 4 years old on similar projects all the way through high school age, but individual participants need to be at least 12 years or older. All younger participants must have a responsible adult to help them along.
1 Like

How to make a static taser

Time: Mar 15 03:30 PM - 05:30 PM
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5206975

This is the third class in a series of classes for “Hogan’s Science Shop.”
The class for this date is for individuals, pairs, or families of any age to build a Leyden jar out of common household materials Students will learn the basics of electricity and will come home with something truly shocking. A Leyden jar is a primitive capacitor that can store a small amount of static charge. If done correctly it can produce a very satisfying jolt that you can use to annoy your friends and family. This experiment is very safe, but is not recommended for participants that have a pacemaker or any other major heart condition.
Supplies will be provided.
Designing and building together can be a lifelong memory for many young people and participants are encouraged to come in pairs or groups, not only to make the process go more quickly, but to facilitate family bonding.
I am welcoming of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, or sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity). I will modify any of the labs or projects as needed and participants may even contact me in advance if they have any special needs that they feel I should accommodate for.
1 Like

Maker Monday

Time: Mar 24 07:00 PM - 08:30 PM
Host: Membership Committee
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5207049

Maker Monday is our open house event.
It’s a great way to experience the makerspace and the maker culture in person. Come tour our shops and see our brand new facility at 5920 E. Mt. Vernon. You’ll learn all about our makerspace, tools, policies, people, and how we operate.

Our tours are free and open to the public. While you are welcome to just show up, we prefer that you register in advance so we have enough members on hand to assist with our tours. Sessions are at 7.
If you wish to begin your membership at Maker Monday we will have members here to sign you up.
You are welcome to hang out and chat after your tour. There’s always something interesting going on at Maker Monday!
To contact our onboarding team to arrange a tour outside the normal ones on Maker Mondays or general questions about joining, send an email to onboarding@makeict.org.

Amateur (Ham) Radio: An Introduction of the What, Why, and How (2 of 4)

Time: Mar 14 06:00 PM - 09:00 PM
Host: Randy Reynard
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5207439

The class will be taught by FCC licensed amateur radio operators. The lead instructor is a registered ARRL License Instructor and an accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE) with the Laurel VEC. All the instructors are members of the Wichita Amateur Radio Club.
This class will introduce participants to what amateur radio is and how to become a licensed amateur radio operator. The role of making as it applies to ham radio will also be explored. The class will be very interactive to help ensure that participants leave with the information they need to pursue this fascinating and educational hobby. We will also discuss how a class to help prepare for taking the licensing exam can help with passing and knowing more about what you will do once licensed.
We will discuss plans for an amateur radio station at MakeICT in the Electronics and Rapid Prototyping Lab and will tour the Lab to explain how it will be integrated.

This series of four classes (three weekday evenings and one Saturday) will cover the material on the entry level (Technician) amateur (ham) radio examination. Students will purchase a textbook that the classes follow. The textbook is “Ham Radio School Technician License Course 2022-2026” and it includes online resources that support the text and classes. Students will purchase the book from Amazon. At the end of the Saturday Class, a no-cost test session will be offered.

The class schedule is:

Monday 5/8 6-9 PM (we’ll be asking people to arrive by 5:30 to get signed in and sign the waiver, if necessary)
Tuesday 5/9 6-9 PM (We’ll have some time at the end of this class for the MakeICT members who are present helping “host” the class to show people around)
Thursday 5/11 6-9 PM
Saturday 5/13 9-12 AM with testing starting at 1 PM

Schrunchie Mania

Time: Mar 15 05:00 PM - 06:00 PM
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5195615
Price: MakeICT Members - $10.00
Price: Non-Members - $15.00

Make as many scrunchies as you can in an hour. Students will receive enough supplies for 3 scrunchies and a printed instruction sheet to help make more. Basic sewing machine understanding is highly suggested but not required.

Computer Hardware and Networking - Part 1

Time: Mar 26 01:00 PM - 05:00 PM
Host: John Payne
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5207014
Price: MakeICT Members - $25.00
Price: Non-Members - $30.00
Ages: 10 and up

4 hours or more
Troubleshooting the following:
Motherboards
RAM
Video
Other expansion cards
RAID and storage drives
Video/projector/display issues
Mobile devices
Printer issues

Wood Lathe Safety Authorization Class

Time: Mar 30 05:30 PM - 08:00 PM
Host: John Nicholas
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5215466
Ages: 16 to 106
Required Authorizations: Woodshop

Plan on about 2.5 hours for the Lathe Safety Authorization Class. Much of the information will be covered quickly, with handouts available. Key pieces of safety will be hands on with examples to hold and examine, and an opportunity for you to use the tools on a workpiece to make some of the things we discuss.

This class wiil be in the 2nd Room of the wood shop.

Safety issues will include:

- Basic Lathe Checks before turning it on.
- PPE for Turning and safe clothing around spinning wood or other material
- An introduction to safe tool usage for Carbide Tools and Traditional Tools with basic information on sharpening.
- Introduction to Mounting Methods for safely attaching the workpiece to the Lathe.
- Wood Selection, considering safety and where the wood is from. We will address the MakeICT Hazardous Material Policy and the
implications for woodturning. This would include working with damaged wood, such as spalting, bark inclusions and worm holes.
Additional PPE considerations and products to address various damaged wood issues.
- We will touch on safety while sanding on the lathe.
- We will touch on safety and choices of finishing products for turned items.

A Test Out Form of this Authorization Class is available.

Class size will vary based on the number of experienced SKW Members available to assist.

Woodshop Safety Authorization is Required
Woodshop Hazardous Materials Authorization is highly recommended.

Metal Lathe Basics

Time: Mar 23 05:00 PM - 06:30 PM
Host: Rustin Atkeisson
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5217561
Price: MakeICT Members - $19.00
Price: Non-Members - $24.00
Required Authorizations: Metalshop

Metal Lathe Basics will cover the basic parts of the metal lathe while also going thru the proper use and operation of the Craftsman and Logan metal lathes.
The end project will include basic operations such as facing and parting as well as knurling and adding internal threading.
Safety glasses are required.

Woodshop Authorization

Time: Mar 27 06:00 PM - 09:00 PM
Host: Jesse Schlenker
Register: http://makeict.wildapricot.org/event-5221457

Learn the basics to safely operate the major woodshop tools in this safety class including understanding the limitations of each tool, the forces created when using the tool and how to maintain safe control for improved performance. Tools covered: SawStop table saw, drill press, band saw, router table, jointer, planer, miter saw, oscillating spindle and belt / disk sanders and scroll saw. Expect at least two hours of walkthrough with our tools and equipment, followed by an OPTIONAL hour of hands on practice with the tools aimed at those who have little or no practice with woodworking tools

Prerequisites: Please read the woodshop tool access policy and safety requirements on the wiki page prior to coming to class. Safety Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): • Mandatory: Closed-toed shoes, eye protection, short sleeves • Advisable: Hearing protection

Upon completion of the safety demonstration you can use this woodshop equipment for your projects whenever you work at MakeICT as a member!